2012 WRX with issues starting recently
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX with issues starting recently within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2012 WRX with about 4000 miles on it. The last few days have been really cold in ...

2012 WRX with issues starting recently

I have a 2012 WRX with about 4000 miles on it. The last few days have been really cold in the morning (about 15 degrees). The car has had some issues starting up. It definitely struggles to get going, but it does eventually start. Now I know its cold and its definitely a factor in this, but I have never experienced a new car having issues starting just because of the cold. Do people recommend changing out the battery or just deal with the problem? I have read people feel the stock battery on this car is crap, but I am wondering if its worth it to swap it out. I know you can turn the key and allow the gauges to sweep and the fuel pump to start up, but you really shouldn't have to go through a procedure just to properly start the car. Just looking for thoughts on this issue. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You may have condensation/water in the fuel, a common problem in the winter months. Try using a fuel dryer like Heet.

If the car is daily driven then water in the fuel isn't going to be an issue.

Does the car always do this in the cold, or is it intermittent? What about if the car is already warmed up a little? i.e. start it, let it run for 30 seconds, then shut it off and restart it. And when you say it struggles, how long does it take to get started? Are we talking an extra couple seconds, or do you have to crank it for 15 seconds? It's perfectly normal for even a new car to take 5 seconds of cranking in cold weather to start.

The good news is 1) it's still starting and 2) it's under warranty. The bad news is until you have a real problem i.e. it doesn't start at all you may have trouble getting the dealer to look at it, never mind address the problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    If the car is daily driven then water in the fuel isn't going to be an issue.

Does the car always do this in the cold, or is it intermittent? What about if the car is already warmed up a little? i.e. start it, let it run for 30 seconds, then shut it off and restart it. And when you say it struggles, how long does it take to get started? Are we talking an extra couple seconds, or do you have to crank it for 15 seconds? It's perfectly normal for even a new car to take 5 seconds of cranking in cold weather to start.

The good news is 1) it's still starting and 2) it's under warranty. The bad news is until you have a real problem i.e. it doesn't start at all you may have trouble getting the dealer to look at it, never mind address the problem.
    The car is a daily driver, and this has only happened in the last two days. I have not tried warming it up and then turning it off and on; I will give that a try. The last two days it has just taken an extra few seconds to fully start up. Its not really a problem as I know its really cold and the car does start, I have just never experienced a new car struggling like this. Thanks for the response.

Cold batteries can take longer to crank. Subaru used to sell a Battery warmer as an add on, not sure if that still exists or not.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cold batteries can take longer to crank. Subaru used to sell a Battery warmer as an add on, not sure if that still exists or not.
    They do still offer a battery warmer Impreza Battery Warmer 1993-2013, SubaruGenuineParts.com
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

This doesn't sound normal to me. I'd take to the dealer.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I also have a '12 WRX and I've experienced something similar to what you're describing. Temps here in NJ are mid 20s tho. It only takes a few extra seconds to start up and has not been problematic. I take excellent care of the car and have 17k miles on it. I think you'll be okay, despite the fact that it's a nuisance.

wait...you've never had any problems starting a car first thing in the morning in the cold...
    how did you ever do it?

Huh? Are you referring to my post or the OP? Like I said, it takes a few seconds longer to start the car in cold temps but hasn't crapped out on me. The OP is experiencing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush View Post
    Huh? Are you referring to my post or the OP? Like I said, it takes a few seconds longer to start the car in cold temps but hasn't crapped out on me. The OP is experiencing the same thing.
    sorry the OP. Regardless of what you used to drive, colder weather does this. Should only be a problem if your car won;t start

I have a 13 and it's 25 degrees every morning, the engine takes forever to heat up but the car always starts and never has a problem getting going. If your under warranty use it, it's why you paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by mdkflip View Post
    The car is a daily driver, and this has only happened in the last two days. I have not tried warming it up and then turning it off and on; I will give that a try. The last two days it has just taken an extra few seconds to fully start up. Its not really a problem as I know its really cold and the car does start, I have just never experienced a new car struggling like this. Thanks for the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAmbush View Post
    I also have a '12 WRX and I've experienced something similar to what you're describing. Temps here in NJ are mid 20s tho. It only takes a few extra seconds to start up and has not been problematic. I take excellent care of the car and have 17k miles on it. I think you'll be okay, despite the fact that it's a nuisance.
    A few extra seconds to start in cold weather is absolutely perfectly normal with these cars. When it got really cold at my house (around zero or below) it would normally take at least 5 seconds of cranking for the car to start, and it would crank noticeably slower than normal too. As the temps got down to -20 to -30, the car would almost refuse to start and I would sometimes stop cranking it after 8-10 seconds to start trying again because it didn't start the first time. This was on a car that only had 17k miles on it and was 16 months old as of the end of its second winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    This doesn't sound normal to me. I'd take to the dealer.
    This is definitely totally normal.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Re: 2012 WRX with issues starting recently

You have a daily driven 2012 with forty thousand miles on it. Damn!

Gotta ask what's the maintenance look like?

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    You have a daily driven 2012 with forty thousand miles on it. Damn!

Gotta ask what's the maintenance look like?

Posted from a fone.

Where are you getting the extra 0 from? The op said his car has 4,000 miles on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast