Catalytic converter overheating? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Catalytic converter overheating? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Read somewhere (can't remember if it was here or another forum) that said a high (but not high enough to ...

Read somewhere (can't remember if it was here or another forum) that said a high (but not high enough to send a CEL code) ETG reading can also sometime trip a P0420 code. Anyone else run across that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I thought the Vagcom didn't work for flashing?
    Only works on 2004 and 2005. Needs a jump to get the 12v to flash though:
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...n/IMAG0117.jpg
    But its unregulated so its a little high... so I just turn on my headlights.

You guys have pretty good luck w/used components such as cats, etc.? Don't really want to try modding it right now, at least not until we figure out what exactly is going on and see if there's more underlying problems. I have some leads on some fairly low mileage (30-40K) up pipes and down pipes. Of course my mechanic would advise against it, but stock parts are so expensive, especially the down pipe cat.

I don't think anyone here with the exception of SD_GR would advise getting a OE uppipe. You don't even HAVE to take out the EGT sensor in the up. But it's recommended. Thats what my dealer did.

As for your failing cats. What my dealer did to diagnose my clogged UP cat was take a infrared heat gun to it. The clogged cat was extremely hot. But the remainder of the exhaust was much cooler vs the UP. You can try that.

Used cats... no experience

I Support ClubWRX

Catalytic converter overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    I don't think anyone here with the exception of SD_GR would advise getting a OE uppipe. You don't even HAVE to take out the EGT sensor in the up. But it's recommended. Thats what my dealer did.
    I'd not replace a catted up pipe with a catted up pipe. However a dealer that wouldn't is violating federal and CA law.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234