Brake Fluid
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brake Fluid within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all - just curious what people are using for brake fluid. I am getting mine changed soon and I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Brake Fluid

Hey all - just curious what people are using for brake fluid. I am getting mine changed soon and I figured I might spend a few bucks and bring my own in rather than have them put in whatever they use at the dealership.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Motul RBF600
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Any DOT 3/4 synthetic is fine.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

^^^ What he said.

Motul, ATE Superblue, and Castrol are the three most used ones, mostly because they're the easiest to get, but any DOT4 fluid will more than do the job unless you have a dedicated track car that will run extended times on the track. I've used both of the first two pretty extensively on the track in a couple of different cars (Subaru and Porsche) and they've both worked perfectly.

Make sure when you replace the fluid that it's a full flush and replace and not just a replace (which will leave some of your old fluid in the system). I'd also suggest you add stainless steel lines at the same time since those require replacing the brake fluid too. They'll significantly improve your pedal feel.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car strictly DD duty? Auto-X? HPDEs?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Any DOT 3/4 synthetic is fine.
    As a general rule, yes. I use ATE SuperBlue, personally.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Brake Fluid

Alternating colours makes it easy to know when fresh fluid reached a caliper dso there's that advantage. For my cars I just buy Castrol locally though. YMMV.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I use ATE SuperBlue, personally.
    Same. Never had an issue with it, and it comes in two colors, for flushing purposes.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

One other thing to be aware of with respect to DOT4 fluids is they must be changed yearly. They have a shorter service life due to their properties than their less effective counterparts, which can be left for several years in a car between replacement.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX

Brake Fluid

I have read the ATE DOT4 change interval is up to 3 years; this is comparable to DOT3.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great thanks for the input everyone.

My car is a daily driver. I don't track it. But any chance I get to put something better in I always do. For example, I know I don't need to run good oil in the engine, but I always use AMSOIL signature series and Oil filter just because. Who knows what the dealership uses.

Anyway, I will research some of the suggestions.

Thanks again!

Wearever Dot 3 from local auto parts store. it does the job.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Alternating colours makes it easy to know when fresh fluid reached a caliper dso there's that advantage. For my cars I just buy Castrol locally though. YMMV.
    Probably a dumb question, but how much fluid do you need for each time you change it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This.

Different color brake fluid makes life easy. I put in Motul last time. Will use ATE SuperBlue next year. Super Blue is cheaper for what its worth.

I have also heard that DOT4 fluid requires changing more frequently. It is supposedly more hydroscopic than DOT3. I believe a couple books I read pointed that out. Either way, if you aren't tracking your car, you should be fine with every other (or every 3) years as a maintenance interval. I'd suggest flushing them before every few track events otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but how much fluid do you need for each time you change it?
    I believe it is .7 of a quart. I would buy two to be save. You can always leave unopened brake fluid sit on the shelf for next time. It's frustrating to run out. Especially if you are throwing on stainless lines, plan in case you find a leak. The DOT 4 fluids (for me) are near impossible find locally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I believe it is .7 of a quart. I would buy two to be save. You can always leave unopened brake fluid sit on the shelf for next time. It's frustrating to run out. Especially if you are throwing on stainless lines, plan in case you find a leak. The DOT 4 fluids (for me) are near impossible find locally.
    Awesome...Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.