Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brake troubles after fluid change

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nsibanez 
#1 ·
After changing my brake fluid several days ago to ATE 706302 Original Super Blue Racing DOT 4 Brake Fluid I have been having problems. The pedal feels mushy and the front passengers side brake makes a grinding sound and occasionally shakes the steering wheel under hard braking. I originally diagnosed this problem as air in the brake lines so I bleed the brakes on two separate occasions with no noticeable improvement (I only had a few small bubbles of air come out during each bleeding session). What should I do? It's a 2008 WRX by the way.

Thanks

#2 ·
Yeah, you definitely need to bleed it more. You have to follow the order and work your way around and it can be a huge PITA.

The grinding is probably a shot pad. If you were changing your fluid because it was low that is usually a sign. You need to take the wheel off and have a good look with the car very safely supported.

#3 ·
He's right
got to it before I could. Sounds like there's still air in the system. Make sure your calipers are on correctly so the bleeder valve is on top. You'd be surprised how simple that is to mess up. The grinding could be rust on the rotor or low brake pads hence the reason for low fluid. And the shaking while braking hard is a warped rotor. Get them resurfaced or replaced

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.