Steering wheel and door lock after stalling?

This is a discussion on Steering wheel and door lock after stalling? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I stalled my car today and the steering wheel locked in place and my door wouldn't unlock either. I ...

So I stalled my car today and the steering wheel locked in place and my door wouldn't unlock either. I tried starting the engine and it wouldn't start for about 5 min. Any ideas on what happened?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

No, because I can't picture what you're saying. The engine cannot start with a locked steering wheel since the key won't turn.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Here's what happened:
    1. Car stalled
    2. Couldn't start car
    3. Tried to get out my door but it was locked even when it was in the "unlocked" poisition.
    4. Friend started pushing the car, but told him to stop because my steering wheel was locked.
    5. Waited a few minutes and tried again, car finally turned on.
    6. Posted this thread.
    7. Drank my cherry lime-aid.

It's a 2005 WRX with about 65k miles btw.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Here's an easy solution: don't stall.

I don't think the door not opening is linked to the stall. It wouldn't make any sense. There's still a mechanical lock, it's just operated electronically, so unless you locked the door and the switch didn't work, it should still open. Look for something wrong with the door latching mechanism.

As for steering wheel being locked, unless the key is in the locked position, it shouldn't have done that. Are you sure you had the key in the right position after trying to start it?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Here's an easy solution: don't stall.

I don't think the door not opening is linked to the stall. It wouldn't make any sense. There's still a mechanical lock, it's just operated electronically, so unless you locked the door and the switch didn't work, it should still open. Look for something wrong with the door latching mechanism.

As for steering wheel being locked, unless the key is in the locked position, it shouldn't have done that. Are you sure you had the key in the right position after trying to start it?
    I knew someone was going to say that. Its going to happen a few times, I only recently learned how to drive standard. But I might not have had the key in the right position, I was freaking out because I was holding a few cars up haha.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WantWasabi View Post
    I knew someone was going to say that. Its going to happen a few times, I only recently learned how to drive standard. But I might not have had the key in the right position, I was freaking out because I was holding a few cars up haha.
    It's easy to freak out and forget what you're doing in the heat of the moment. Next time, take a couple deep breaths, think about what you need to do and stop worrying about those behind you. They'll be able to get around you soon enough, better that everyone is safe than on time.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX

I think anxiety may have had at least something to do with it. I can't explain the key and door, I don't think I understand how that could happen. Anyway, all's well that ends well.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You don't happen to have an aftermarket alarm system do you?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

My mom constantly mistakes "locked" for "unlocked". I think its because the direction for locked/unlocked is reversed compared to most other cars.
    Also 2005 WRX. 141,000 Miles =D

This may be a stupid question, but did you try unlocking the steering wheel? (turning the key and wiggling the steering wheel back and forth is my preferred method)
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    My mom constantly mistakes "locked" for "unlocked". I think its because the direction for locked/unlocked is reversed compared to most other cars.
    -
    YES! my boyfriend and i have been together for almost 2 years at this point and he STILL struggles to unlock the doors. he always gives me the "but its reversed..." excuse.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Car probably didn't start because you may not have pressed the clutch in (all the way) enough to trigger the clutch-in start button.

As for the door... I think that was you.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl