Grinding and wobbling noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Grinding and wobbling noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i have a weird problem with my car. Its a 2002 WRX wagon with 120k miles. When im ...

Question Grinding and wobbling noise

Hey guys i have a weird problem with my car. Its a 2002 WRX wagon with 120k miles. When im driving over 30MPH i have a grinding noise coming from what seems like the front right end of the car, and there is also a wobbling noise coming from what seems the rear. The grinding noise goes away instantly when i put the clutch in or release the gas, but comes back a few seconds later when the car is slowing down. The grinding/wobbling noise is constant, when driving in a straight line or turning. The car drives smooth though, no actual vibrations anywhere. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I ruled out anything with the brakes, i changed all the brakes and resurfaced all the rotors and the issue is still present.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Does the noise up front stay away if the clutch pedal is depressed? If so, throw out bearing is suspect. Rear unknown, insufficient info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If the clutch is pushed in the noise stays away, if im not touching the clutch the noise is present while accelerating or decelerating. The rear wobbling noise sounds like its coming from the right rear of the car. That's as much info as i have as of now.

I Support ClubWRX

OK my guess about the front being the clutch throw out bearing is not unreasonable then, though it sounds like its from a wheel. Sound reflects and travels I suppose, so I'll stick to my initial guess.

For the rear, exclude debris, the axle, and suspension at least visually before suspecting a wheel bearing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Front possibility could be ball joint or A arm bushing. Rear I would look at wheel bearing or maybe out of balance tire.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for you helpful posts, the rear is not the wheel, because the wobbling noise stops as soon as I left off the gas. A better example of a grinding noise would be the noise the rotor makes when it grinds against an empty brake pad, that metal to metal grinding noise. The noise is constant regardless of what speed I'm going. It sounds like its coking from the right front wheel area.

usually a wheel bearring sounds like a skateboard bearring. best way i think of it. if its choppy sound, then id go with choppy tires. incorrect wheel balance and alignment off too maybe. the grinding coming from the front right could be a wheel bearring if its from that end. but could also be the throwout.
    get a video up if you can

and does the front right problem get louder or faster with more speed?

Hi everyone, so to clear up a few questions the noise is constant and does not get louder when going faster, its just loud. I took it to the shop today, put it in the air and ran the car and i received a nice new years present, its coming from the transmission. It is not the throw out bearing, some sort of gear/bearing. It grinds in all gears except 1st. The wobbling noise is most likely linked to the grinding noise. I am going to swap out the oil tomorrow morning for thicker oil to help reduce the grinding noise since i have a trip i need to take the car on tomorrow, im going to baby the car and drive it gently until i can get the time and money to take it apart and figure out if im going to do a complete rebuild, or replace just that broken part within the tranny, or buy a used one, as well as an aftermarket clutch(or maybe just the stock clutch with an aftermarket flywheel?). Here is a video as well, make sure to watch in 1080P for the best sound Wrx noise - YouTube once again thanks for all of your help and posts, this forum seems to be very friendly and mature.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you replace the clutch, stick with the stock flywheel.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Alright, it was just an idea i never actually looked into it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Does your transmission sound like it's filled with gravel?

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yes exactly like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're going to need transmission work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.