Charging system

This is a discussion on Charging system within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, just picked up this 03 subaru wrx, still working with all the kinks it came with, but this ones ...

Registered User morgankwright26's Avatar

Charging system

Hey, just picked up this 03 subaru wrx, still working with all the kinks it came with, but this ones weird. It seems as if the charging system isnt doing its job, car even died twice after traveling 30-40 miles, both times when i had to come to a stop at a stoplight.... and when it died, it was a completely dead battery, no clicking, dash lights were dimming quickly, nothing. Battery is good though, alternator is good,(just tested both at autozone), any ideas where my weakest link could be? oh yeah, and the stock alarm/imobilizer started to engage ever since the voltage dropped, kinda pisses me off... any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Charging system

Bad contact somewhere if battery and alternator are ok.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Where could that contact be? at the plug in at the alternator? would dielectric grease fix that?

I Support ClubWRX

Charging system

Check battery terminals, grounding straps (earth connections), main fuse box, alternator harness. Be careful, the current can be substantial.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You could possibly have a bad ground connection somewhere as well. Just inspect the engine thoroughly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Got it fixed! So, after i reinstalled the old alternator, i took the car down to autozone and they did a more comprehesive test while it was on the car, and it turned out that the voltage regulator was bad, and i might as well get a whole alternator while im at it, as the regulator costs 210 vs 230 for the whole alternator

just get a replacement alternator. usually if the car dies while your driving its because your alternator faield around 20 minutes before that. your car can run about that long on just the battery depending on how many accesories are running and that would explain the drained battery. same thing happened to my girls car