weird tire squeal/burnout noise

This is a discussion on weird tire squeal/burnout noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; it doesnt happen all the time, but every once in a while when i'm stopped and then begin to go ...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

weird tire squeal/burnout noise

it doesnt happen all the time, but every once in a while when i'm stopped and then begin to go again, i hear a noise. like the title says, it sounds like the tires are squealing and i'm doing a burnout o.O

it's only happened about 4 times or so.. 2 of which within the same day/time frame [happened at one light, and then the next light i got to]

any clues/ideas? clutch? wheel bearing? my imagination?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

when does it stop? if you accelerate during the screech does it get louder? does it sound like its something that has to do with the wheel going around, like can u hear the sound of it going in a circle and hitting a high spot, like a pad rubbing the rotor? a burnout noise is pretttyyy loud so really not sure lol

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    its not extremely loud. its soft enough to where i didnt even think it was my car at first. i always thought it was the car next to me taking off & screeching his tires like a moron. lol

the sound lasts a few seconds and then goes away. it doesnt happen enough to where i can experiment with it and see if it changes w/ different conditions.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Sometimes my AC clutch makes a squealing noise kind of like that when it first kicks on but it's only for a split second. I had a friends with a seized idler pulley that started out intermittently like that and then eventually when it seized all the way while driving on the highway ate through the timing belt and it was time for a new engine.

I hope you don't have that same problem but it might be worth looking into.