Weird issue. Trying to make sense of what happened
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Weird issue. Trying to make sense of what happened within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I started my car at 5:30 am and it was about 14 degrees out. While letting the car warm up ...

I started my car at 5:30 am and it was about 14 degrees out. While letting the car warm up I noticed the clock display wasn't working. Didn't think much of it, thought it was a blown fuse. The car warmed up and I take off, turned the heat on and now the fan doesn't work. I restarted the car at a red light and still no heat. After 15 minutes of driving, the clock works again and so does the heater fan. Does anyone know what happened? I searched, but no results.
    -NAS

2011 SUBARU WRX (LR) - DAILY
    MODS: 30% Tint - Smoked Tails - Bi-Xenon Projector retrofit w/ DDM Tuning 35w5000k - Fender vent led turn signals - Kartboy short throw shifter w/ bushings - Flossy Shift knob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Faulty contact somewhere is my guess.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

most likely that^

my clock doesnt come on sometime. just give it a love tap and itll usually work. if it doesnt then i give it a few more til it comes on lol

Thanks for replying. I just don't understand why the fan went out at the same time as the clock. Are they both linked to one fuse or something?
    -NAS

MODS: 30% Tint - Smoked Tails - Bi-Xenon Projector retrofit w/ DDM Tuning 35w5000k - Fender vent led turn signals - Kartboy short throw shifter w/ bushings - Flossy Shift knob

I Support ClubWRX

One fuse and/or one harness would do it; either way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I guess you're right. Didn't find anything that says they're linked...Hope it doesn't happen again. Winters get pretty cold up here.
    -NAS

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd suspect your battery first - the car will progressively shut things off when it is low. Cold temperatures will affect a poor battery. It will do better as it charges up and warms up from running.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I didn't know that, thanks. Learn something new everyday.
    -NAS

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Weird issue. Trying to make sense of what happened

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I'd suspect your battery first - the car will progressively shut things off when it is low. Cold temperatures will affect a poor battery. It will do better as it charges up and warms up from running.
    I had no idea it did this. Is this by design? Or just due to the battery voltage dropping below the threshold to switch certain relays on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I had no idea it did this. Is this by design? Or just due to the battery voltage dropping below the threshold to switch certain relays on?
    I don't know exactly what happens, but it was supposed to be by design. A guy came on here years ago with weird stuff shutting down and it turned out to be the battery with some tech. explanation that it was supposed to (but not how). It could be BS but I remember it pretty well and it worked then.

I Support ClubWRX

Cool. I guess it makes sense.

I have always seen low battery charge issues show up by the car not starting. That is a possibility though.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I noticed that when my alternator cut off. Different things started shutting off incrementally. I think first the brake and cruise lights came on, then the cluster backlight went off, then gauges, then cluster needles. The headlights and coilpacks and ECU continued, but after I pulled over and shut it off it had a hard time cranking and wouldn't start. I figured it just had to do with voltage thresholds for certain devices to work properly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Cool. I guess it makes sense.

I have always seen low battery charge issues show up by the car not starting. That is a possibility though.
    That part bothered me too. I was thinking maybe it gave its last breath starting the car and was marginal on voltage after that.

I Support ClubWRX

Robin... That is concerning. My car has been kinda cranky cold starting... And on my way home today the parking brake alarm would not shut off :-(
    2011 STi Build Log

Well it happened again today. Only thing different was it is 10 degrees warmer so about 25 and I let the car warm up for 10 minutes instead of the usual 5. It sucks balls having to drive with no heat and it sucks even more that I can't use the windshield defroster. Has anyone experienced this? (clock + blower motor) first. If its by design I would assume things start shutting down in a specific order.
    -NAS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast