02 WRX only building 5psi max?

This is a discussion on 02 WRX only building 5psi max? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was going down the interstate tonight and one minute I'm building full boost and the next I can't build ...

Registered User 02BugEyeCoosaGuy's Avatar

I was going down the interstate tonight and one minute I'm building full boost and the next I can't build more then 5 psi. I haven't added any new Mods in months and my wideband says I'm running a normal AFR. Could the EBC going bad cause this with out throwing a CEL? Or should I look at something else?
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Find a boost leak but honestly I can't picture a 5 PSI scenario since wastegate baseline boost is higher. I can understand zero boost and >7 PSI but not what you describe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    How are you measuring boost pressure?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm using my boost gauge. It may actually be at 7psi. The boost gauge doesn't break down each number.
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02BugEyeCoosaGuy
    I'm using my boost gauge. It may actually be at 7psi. The boost gauge doesn't break down each number.
    Can you verify via the MAP sensor (e.g., datalog)?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No I don't have anything to do that with but I know it's not throwing any codes at all.
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

*UPDATE* just took it for a drive and found that I'm able to build my full boost but just not till about 7500 rpm. This is really weird since one minute I built full boost at about 5000 and now it's at 7500. Could this even be a vacuum leak?
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I Support ClubWRX

Doesn't your rev limiter engage at that RPM?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Exactly it won't build full boost till right at the rev limiter
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I Support ClubWRX

Have you checked all connections and for leaks?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Mods?

Yes I even replaced every vacuum line today and secured them all with either a clamp or a zip tie. I'm beginning to think the EBC has failed and it is messing with my wastegate's duty cycle
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yea that's what it was. The valve inside the EBC collapsed and won't energize open. I took it out and direct wired it to the battery to force it open. The valve clicks but it is stuck. Well looks like I have an excuse to get the GrimmSpeed one now. Thanks for the help.
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I Support ClubWRX

Heh, I'd not heard of that happening before I don't think. Hopefully the holidays don't delay shipping too much.

Yea I just bypassed the sensor all together till the new one comes in. Luckily I found a site that sells OEM parts for cheap. The dealership wants $250 for the OEM sensor but this site is selling the same one for $115. For over a $100 in savings ill wait an extra day haha.
    AWD- DO IT ON ALL FOURS