First WRX ever - power steering issue

This is a discussion on First WRX ever - power steering issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased my first WRX after ten years of coveting!! They're so awesome. I know a little about cars but ...

I purchased my first WRX after ten years of coveting!! They're so awesome.

I know a little about cars but not much , the power steering is acting up a bit. Sometimes it shakes while I'm steering and while it's still warming up. I took it to a random mechanic by my work. He checked the fluid and it had lots of air bubbles in the reservoir. I checked the belt and, flexion is ok. So is it my pump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Ders_ View Post
    So is it my pump?
    Didn't the mechanic tell you?

From a distance my answer is "potentially." if bubbles are being introduced then the pump is causing atmosphere to enter the system but that could be from anywhere in the system, not solely from the pump body itself. If bubbles existed because the system ran low and someone fixed the leak, top off the level, raise the front safely on jack stands, and saw at the wheel repeatedly to work the air out. If bubbles existed because there is a leak that nobody fixed, find and fix the leak first. If bubbles existed because someone changed the fluid but didn't get rid of them, get rid of them as above.

Find out which, why, and them fix it as stated.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

any legitimate mechanic would have diagnosed the problem and told you what it was and how much it is to fix. i would dig into it myself and fix it. thats way more fun. but as you said your not the most mechanically inclined person so that will probably cost you more in the long run

word of advice, i suggest a better mechanic. find one you can trust and stick with him, until you learn to do it yourself or pony up the $100+ an hour and go to the dealer