2013 engine braking noise

This is a discussion on 2013 engine braking noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2013 WRX, got it in September. I have noticed a rattling noise when I engine brake in ...

2013 engine braking noise

I have a 2013 WRX, got it in September.

I have noticed a rattling noise when I engine brake in 2nd gear. It doesn't seem to happen in any other gear. It sounds like it is coming from the exterior and not inside the cabin.

I already replaced my front license plate bracket as I thought that was it but I am still getting it.

I know Subarus are known for rattles but this doesn't sound quite right to me.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to the dealer. This is what warranties are for.

My bugeye makes a symphony of drivetrain noise all the time, I'm used to it. You have a new car, so unless you really don't trust them, someone hearing the noise in the car will be far better prepared to help you than describing a noise in text on the internet.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Heatshield somewhere. There's a ton of heatshielding and brackets underneath the car, so chances are its something like that.

It's brand new...and under full warranty. Take it to the dealer
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I actually made an appointment today at the dealership for Friday (I should have mentioned that)... I already requested to have a mechanic take a ride with me to hear it too.

I guess i was just trying to get a feel if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I'll keep you all posted with the outcome. Im expecting them to brush it off and say something stupid like "thats the sound of engine braking"