2002 wrx speedometer reading high

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx speedometer reading high within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I just got my wrx on Saturday and I noticed the speedo is reading 7 - 10 mph over ...

Hey I just got my wrx on Saturday and I noticed the speedo is reading 7 - 10 mph over the speed limit. I've verified this by driving next to friends and comparing speeds and also through the use of GPS. If anyone knows anyway that I can fix this please let me know

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not much really. There's a gear and servo in your transmission that transmits the speed. If the gear broke, you'd read nothing, so I'm guessing there's some issue with the gauge cluster itself. Thankfully, new gauge clusters are cheap. I guess if you have a friend with a bugeye, you could swap clusters (it only takes a couple minutes to remove), and try that. Do the needles move smoothly? Have you tweaked the cluster at all (changed light bulbs, colors, etc)?

Bear in mind that it's normal for the cluster to read 2-3 mph higher than actual. Most manufacturers do this to protect themselves (extra safety factor, if you will), but it sounds like yours is well beyond that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Like I said though I just got the car a few days ago and it's my first wrx, first Subaru actually, so for a bit I just thought it was super quick since it got up to speed extremely fast (when kn reality I was going 10mph slower than j thought). Anyway, it's not a huge issue just something I wanted to ask if there was an easy fix for...I guess the upside is that the actual mileage on the car might be a little lower than displayed!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerFerrara View Post
    Hey I just got my wrx on Saturday and I noticed the speedo is reading 7 - 10 mph over the speed limit. I've verified this by driving next to friends and comparing speeds and also through the use of GPS. If anyone knows anyway that I can fix this please let me know
    Over the speed limit? That suggests you're speeding...
    Seriously though, are you sure to have the right size tires on it? Check tire size first. If tires are smaller in circumference they'll turn faster at same speed making the speedometer show a faster speed.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

They're the stock wheels but ill check the actual tire size. Again it's not a huge problem, it just gets confusing...but it does make me feel like my car is faster than it is

I Support ClubWRX
    They're the stock wheels but ill check the actual tire size. Again it's not a huge problem, it just gets confusing...but it does make me feel like my car is faster than it is
    I, for one, would find that irritating. I like my gauges to be accurate, otherwise, what's the point? If you have the stock wheels, I don't think your tire size would impact the speedo ratio too much. Subaru offered 17" wheels from the factory, so if you have the stock 16" wheels, you should be good, unless you squeezed super-swampers on there or something.

If you do find out you need a new cluster for whatever reason, I have one from my 2003 I'd sell you cheap. It's identical to yours, and would be a direct plug and play swap.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Would there be any issue with inspection and stuff due to mileage being different?

I Support ClubWRX
    Would there be any issue with inspection and stuff due to mileage being different?
    It's possible, but the ODO can be legally reset to the correct mileage through a company I've worked with before. When I installed a used STI cluster in my car, I had it corrected to my current mileage through Tacoma Speedometer for about $100. I've never had an issue with inspection/registration since then in Oregon.

I'm not entirely sure a new cluster would help you, though. I do know the needle servos are extremely sensitive and easily damaged if the cluster is opened for some reason, so if the PO messed with it for whatever reason, that MIGHT have impacted it, but I couldn't say for sure unless you tried swapping one temporarily.
    Last edited by Rambo; 12-19-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Yeah I mean I can deal with it for now but it seems like trying a new cluster will be my attempted solution

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru had to settle a legal issue regarding its odometers reading too high. However your speedo is off by at least twice what's normal (all speedos are calibrated to be optimistic). I would be surprised if a new cluster fixed it unless your needle bounces.

What size wheel and tyre do you have?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If the speedo has been messed with it could be as simple as the needle being in the wrong place. I helped Cory at Interior Flair adjust the speedo needle on a cluster he did. All we did was plug it into my car without the clear plastic front on it, then I drove up to 40mph according to my GPS and he nudged the needle with his finger until it was in the right spot.

If you decide to try this, be careful (if you take the needle off it's ALMOST impossible to get it to work again without the right equipment to put it back together). Cory has tons of experience working with clusters and gauges, so he made it look super easy to calibrate. (AFIK he's the one that unlocked the ODO reading so he can do swaps for people and reset their ODO to the correct mileage)

wheel speed sensor maybe?

Alright I might try that after inspection since I don't really have much to lose

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    wheel speed sensor maybe?
    Any way of testing this?