Oil Changes - What Is Bad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Changes - What Is Bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am currently looking at a 2011 WRX with 22,000 miles on it. The owner might only have changed the ...

I am currently looking at a 2011 WRX with 22,000 miles on it. The owner might only have changed the oil once in that time, and I don't know when that would have been. It will have had no other servicing during this time. Is this a car I should be avoiding or could it be okay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would avoid any car that's being sold by a negligent owner.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

That's my first instinct, but if the price is appropriate and the chance of damage is low is it worth considering? What is the worst that can happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    That's my first instinct, but if the price is appropriate and the chance of damage is low is it worth considering?
    Not in my opinion.

What is the worst that can happen?
    you would pay a decent price for your new car and then have to put 8k into a new motor.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    What is the worst that can happen?
    Famous last words.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

find another one. You dont want that car. If they didn't change the oil.. what else did or didn't they do? let em sell it to someone who wants a headache.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Could have changed it himself. I do my own oil changes and don't let the dealer rape me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Could have changed it himself.
    Key phrase right there. I also change my own oil, but I document each one (along with all services/repairs/mods/fuel fills) in the car's logbook. Without any documentation, you have no clue what was (or wasn't) done to car.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Yeah how do you know it was only changed once?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah how do you know it was only changed once?
    The owner presented the information that he had the oil changed once (he appeared to think that was a good thing). I doubt there was much else he would have needed to do on an 2011 with low mileage for regular maintenance.

I am guessing by the replies that no Subaru inspection would tell me if there is any damage? Hmph.

I Support ClubWRX
    The odo is in miles? Is the car imported? Changing the oil once in 22,000 km is not unreasonable actually, though the car would need an oil change now. Changing the oil once in 22,000 mi is not reasonable since the car is under warranty and the manufacturer specifies much shorter intervals.

Buy a car with a full service history.

I do my own oil changes too but I have dated receipts for all oil changes (In fact I have the old oil filters too, but that's due to mental illness). A conscientious owner will be able to document regular service even if the owner does it herself.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The odo is in miles? Is the car imported? Changing the oil once in 22,000 km is not unreasonable actually, though the car would need an oil change now. Changing the oil once in 22,000 mi is not reasonable since the car is under warranty and the manufacturer specifies much shorter intervals.

Buy a car with a full service history.

I do my own oil changes too but I have dated receipts for all oil changes (In fact I have the old oil filters too, but that's due to mental illness). A conscientious owner will be able to document regular service even if the owner does it herself.
    Agreed...its possible there's some wear and tear on that that you may never know until it's too late.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The odo is in miles? Is the car imported?
    Yes, it's a US car brought new into Canada. I have no problem with a guy showing me a logbook with receipts, but he doesn't have that.

My basic problem is that the budget I agreed with my wife only gets me a high km 2009. This one has the potential to go for a reasonable price which is why it appeals to me. Given that no one has suggested that it might be okay it sounds like I should just let it go. Thanks for your help guys, it really is appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i change mine regularly and keep up on all maintenance. so i would look for another one
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

There are lots of WRX's out there. Be patient. I looked for 3 months to find one I liked in my price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast