2011 WRX gear oil mixture/shockproof

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX gear oil mixture/shockproof within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 11 wrx and I've started to notice my 3rd gear has a slight catch to it sometimes. ...

2011 WRX gear oil mixture/shockproof

I have an 11 wrx and I've started to notice my 3rd gear has a slight catch to it sometimes. Not a grind but when I put it in sometimes I feel a metal catch.. Took it to the dealer (I'm stage 2) said they couldn't do anything because of the mods. They recommended mixing my gear oil wi h Redline shockproof. I am at 32k miles so it's time to replace it.

My two questions are what gear oil weight do I need and what is a good mixture to use with the shockproof. I've searched around on forms but nobody has a new wrx they've put shock in. I've red to mix it all sorts of ways. I'm just curious what everybody recommends.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674

This is what I'm trying in my trans when I replace my clutch.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-18-2012 at 06:16 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with Redline 75-90 NS and it has worked well (I'm stage 2 also). I thought the mixture stuff was better for the pre 08 wrxs?
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

so you went with all Redline shockproof gear oil and didn't mix normal with Redline? Hmm. It's just so expensive haha. How often do you change it? I'm hoping it fixes my 3rd gear issue before it actually progresses into a grind. I've also read about changing the diff fluid. I'm still semi new to this so any explanation? I thought it was just trannys gear oil I'm replacing? As stated before, I'm at 32k miles. Thanks again for the info!
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a pretty good tutorial: Tutorial: Change manual transmission fluid on a 2006 Subaru WRX STi - YouTube

The stuff I went with wasn't shockproof. It was this:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

I went with the 75W-90 NS because it was for GL-5 applications, which is what our manual says to use. When you do the change, definitely use some gloves that will keep the gear oil from getting on your hands. It stinks like crazy and it takes a while for the smell to get off your hands lol. Also, a flexible funnel is helpful for filling.

For the rear differential, I used Redline 75W-90 (Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Differentials - 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil). The rear diff is pretty easy to change. You just take your half inch drive breaker bar/socket wrench and open to unscrew the plug drain it out, clean the plug, and then refill it until it starts to dribble out.

Tutorial: Change rear differential fluid on a 2006 Subaru WRX STi - YouTube
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html