U0073 - aka "Dashboard like a Christmas Tree" mod

This is a discussion on U0073 - aka "Dashboard like a Christmas Tree" mod within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was crusing on the freeway in my bone stock '12 WRX - in traffic, but still just cruising ...

Question U0073 - aka "Dashboard like a Christmas Tree" mod

So I was crusing on the freeway in my bone stock '12 WRX - in traffic, but still just cruising at about 40mph - and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. "How nice of Subaru to put this little easter egg into my car for this time of year!" I thought to myself. Using my bluetooth adapter that's always plugged in, I used Torque Pro on my Android phone to check for codes. It showed me a U0073, which it didn't know immediately what it was. So I searched for it and the best I could come up with was a network problem or a communications fault. I found that some recommended to check the gas cap, but it was fine.

I pulled off the freeway and drove straight to the dealership. Nice that I was in the area! I had them check it before I turned the car off and they confirmed that there was an issue, I would have to leave it and get a rental, blahblahblah. The counter guy said it sounded like it was misfiring a little bit, but I dismissed that and thought "Whatever, you're just the counter guy." The next day they told me that there was a recall on the stock tune or something back in September and that they had to flash the ECU with it anyway, but that they didn't see the problem again and the best they can figure is that there was a "temporary loss of communication with the computer."

So now my car has this newly flashed tune or whatever and everything's fine. In fact, the car seems to be running smoother... But my gas mileage appears to be down a little. And I have a few questions:
    1. Does anybody know anything about this recall? Links?
    2. Is lower gas mileage a temporary thing while the car learns itself again?
    3. Does everybody else here think that the issue was caused by me possibly kicking the OBDII dongle or something? And that I should just leave it NOT plugged in all the time, yeah?
    4. How would I know if the car truly is misfiring? Strange surging while pulling I'm assuming... ?

Thanx in advance! And I hope that wasn't tl;dr!!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh yeah, here's the dash with the following lights on: CEL, Traction Control, ABS, Hill Assist, and the Cruise light was blinking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121212_155254.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	110403
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

I just got an email with a message about Service Program WQC-39.

While it wouldn't seem to relate in any way to a misfire, there is indeed an ECU update for your car. I seem to remember someone mentioning this update on a here a couple weeks ago or something too. Maybe they would know more about it if they had it done to their car already.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

lol I got the email YESTERDAY after my car already had it flashed. Good timing, SOA!