Break In Period - Per My Local Dealer

This is a discussion on Break In Period - Per My Local Dealer within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I have read all of the material on break-in period for a new WRX. I found this interesting, and ...

I Support ClubWRX

Ok, I have read all of the material on break-in period for a new WRX. I found this interesting, and wanted to share it.

I just called my dealer to ask them if it's recommended to change the oil at 1k after the break-in, and the service rep said no. In fact, "don't worry about the break-in period". Come in for an oil change at 3750, and then at 7500. From there it will be oil changes at 7500 mile / 6 month intervals.

This dealer offers free oil changes and an "Engines and transmissions" for life guarantee, if the Subaru maintenance schedule is followed to the letter. They say, mentioned above, oil changes at 7500 / 6 months. And more comprehensive services at 15k (roughly 180$) and 30k (Roughly 600$) intervals.

I have to admit, I was surprised that they told me not to worry about the break in period!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most cars engines are well built from the factory using very precise machines. It isnt like the old days where you had to break the engines in carefully because of the rough cut engines and metal shavings! Also most car companies test the engines during quality control test before its installed in the car they take them through the rpm's and put them through a small break in period right from the factory! Also as we all know there is 2 way's or opinions on the best way to break it an engine! Drive it like you stole it and or take it easy the first 1,000 miles. Me personally with every new car i buy i take it easy the first 1,000 miles then gradually take it up a notch till the first oil change at around 3 or 4k then after that first oil change i see what she really has!!!! Oh and no matter what the the books say i still change my oil every 4k!

I Support ClubWRX

What your dealer says is meaningless. Only what is written by the maker matters. Find out what the actual schedule is (good luck; I've no idea on the new cars) and follow it to the letter.

If your dealer has a separate agreement as you say, follow what's in writing there to the letter provided it is more, not less frequent than the maker's schedule. This will likely waste time and resources but you will be following your end of the agreement.

I have not seen any credible, substantiated arguments for a break in procedure that differ from the maker's.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What your dealer says is meaningless. Only what is written by the maker matters. Find out what the actual schedule is (good luck; I've no idea on the new cars) and follow it to the letter.

If your dealer has a separate agreement as you say, follow what I'd in writing there to the letter provided it is more, not less frequent than the maker's schedule. This will likely waste time and resources but you will be following your end of the agreement.
    I agree with that always read what the maker lists and try to break it in that way! From my experience and all the cars ive bought they usually say take it easy for the first 1,000 miles start out buy going through all the gears at different speeds not going over 55 and dont do any constant speed for along distance!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    I agree with that always read what the maker lists and try to break it in that way! From my experience and all the cars ive bought they usually say take it easy for the first 1,000 miles start out buy going through all the gears at different speeds not going over 55 and dont do any constant speed for along distance!
    Agreed!! I was just amazed that they would say that ... I will be following the manufacturers recommendations. I'll definitely have to be going over 55mph on a long trip 2 days after I take delivery, but I don't think there will be a problem staying under 4k rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank_VA View Post
    Agreed!! I was just amazed that they would say that ... I will be following the manufacturers recommendations. I'll definitely have to be going over 55mph on a long trip 2 days after I take delivery, but I don't think there will be a problem staying under 4k rpms.
    Keep the rpms under 4k you should be fine! I dont know about going on along trip tho if its all highway! Not good to do a constant speed during break in. Before the trip i would try do 100 miles of various speeds and gears at least.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Keep the rpms under 4k you should be fine! I dont know about going on along trip tho if its all highway! Not good to do a constant speed during break in. Before the trip i would try do 100 miles of various speeds and gears at least.
    Oh yeah, definitely. No cc and varied speeds ... not ideal for a long ass trip, but it is what it is.