Battery size maximum?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Battery size maximum? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone fitted a Group 24F battery in the stock location of a 02-07 Impreza? If not, has anyone fitted ...

I Support ClubWRX

Battery size maximum?

Has anyone fitted a Group 24F battery in the stock location of a 02-07 Impreza?

If not, has anyone fitted a battery other than a Group 35 in the stock tray? I noted that the A/C line is quite close to the base.

I would like the CCA and generally higher AH of the 24F.

Thanks!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know my "Yellow Top" Optima barely fits in the stock location.. it's a tight squeeze. I'll go out and see if I can find anything telling what size it is..

Well.. the part number is covered by my tie down. =/

For what it's worth:
    CA: 870
    CCA: 750
    AH: 55
    RC 120

I Support ClubWRX

Battery size maximum?

Thanks for the specifications! Much appreciated!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Speaking of batteries...Has anyone used/heard of anyone using one of these? They look wicked cool, but sound very expensive. But you could potentially cut off 40lbs from the weight of your car just by using this battery!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Speaking of batteries...Has anyone used/heard of anyone using one of these? They look wicked cool, but sound very expensive. But you could potentially cut off 40lbs from the weight of your car just by using this battery!
    oops...forgot the link Lithium starting battery lightweight racing

I Support ClubWRX

Battery size maximum?

Not something I'd buy, no.

I know a few people that use the lightweight batteries and they work, but not real well. They don't hold near as much charge and the CCA is usually a little low for getting a good quick start when it's cold outside.

My YellowTop is super heavy, but it's a partial deep cycle battery, so it's tougher than most batteries when it comes to abuse (long drains, sitting for extended periods, etc). Eventually I plan on relocating my battery to the trunk, which should help a lot with weight distribution and then the fact that it's so heavy won't really matter. My trunk is already gutted, and I'm going to install a CF trunk lid, so the added battery weight will pretty much be moot.

I Support ClubWRX
    The advantage to yours in that application is that you can orient it any way you like - on its side in the spare wheel well, for example, or anywhere really.

The 24F is a few mm wider than the 35. I am going to try a 24 out and see what happens: I have a Honda with a 3 year old 24F. I'll get a new 24F, put that in the Honda, and take the old 24 and see if it fits the Subaru. If it does, great; if not, nothing lost as I'd not want the Honda seeing cold temps with an older battery anyway.

Fingers crossed.

I Support ClubWRX
    The advantage to yours in that application is that you can orient it any way you like - on its side in the spare wheel well, for example, or anywhere really.

The 24F is a few mm wider than the 35. I am going to try a 24 out and see what happens: I have a Honda with a 3 year old 24F. I'll get a new 24F, put that in the Honda, and take the old 24 and see if it fits the Subaru. If it does, great; if not, nothing lost as I'd not want the Honda seeing cold temps with an older battery anyway.

Fingers crossed.

I Support ClubWRX

Battery size maximum?

The 24FS will not fit the stock battery box. To get it to fit, I removed the battery strap, cut the edges off the stock battery box, and trimmed the edge of the battery where it touches the fender. I added insulation to the battery instead of the stock box shield. Done deal.

Watch the A/C lines and make sure the head and cam cover clears even when the motor pivots as it is revved.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The 24FS will not fit the stock battery box. To get it to fit, I removed the battery strap, cut the edges off the stock battery box, and trimmed the edge of the battery where it touches the fender. I added insulation to the battery instead of the stock box shield. Done deal.

Watch the A/C lines and make sure the head and cam cover clears even when the motor pivots as it is revved.

I Support ClubWRX

Battery size maximum?

Thanks! Plus, the Group 24, with more AH and a higher CCA rating, is... cheaper than the Group 35. Yay! It's a very tight fit and by rights it doesn't fit, you have to cut the battery casing and the battery box. However, I did.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.