Subaru WRX Forum banner

Battery size maximum?

12K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
Has anyone fitted a Group 24F battery in the stock location of a 02-07 Impreza?

If not, has anyone fitted a battery other than a Group 35 in the stock tray? I noted that the A/C line is quite close to the base.

I would like the CCA and generally higher AH of the 24F.

Thanks!

#8 ·
I know a few people that use the lightweight batteries and they work, but not real well. They don't hold near as much charge and the CCA is usually a little low for getting a good quick start when it's cold outside.

My YellowTop is super heavy, but it's a partial deep cycle battery, so it's tougher than most batteries when it comes to abuse (long drains, sitting for extended periods, etc). Eventually I plan on relocating my battery to the trunk, which should help a lot with weight distribution and then the fact that it's so heavy won't really matter. My trunk is already gutted, and I'm going to install a CF trunk lid, so the added battery weight will pretty much be moot.

#9 ·
The advantage to yours in that application is that you can orient it any way you like - on its side in the spare wheel well, for example, or anywhere really.

The 24F is a few mm wider than the 35. I am going to try a 24 out and see what happens: I have a Honda with a 3 year old 24F. I'll get a new 24F, put that in the Honda, and take the old 24 and see if it fits the Subaru. If it does, great; if not, nothing lost as I'd not want the Honda seeing cold temps with an older battery anyway.

Fingers crossed.

#10 ·
The advantage to yours in that application is that you can orient it any way you like - on its side in the spare wheel well, for example, or anywhere really.

The 24F is a few mm wider than the 35. I am going to try a 24 out and see what happens: I have a Honda with a 3 year old 24F. I'll get a new 24F, put that in the Honda, and take the old 24 and see if it fits the Subaru. If it does, great; if not, nothing lost as I'd not want the Honda seeing cold temps with an older battery anyway.

Fingers crossed.

#11 ·
The 24FS will not fit the stock battery box. To get it to fit, I removed the battery strap, cut the edges off the stock battery box, and trimmed the edge of the battery where it touches the fender. I added insulation to the battery instead of the stock box shield. Done deal.

Watch the A/C lines and make sure the head and cam cover clears even when the motor pivots as it is revved.

#13 ·
Thanks! Plus, the Group 24, with more AH and a higher CCA rating, is... cheaper than the Group 35. Yay! It's a very tight fit and by rights it doesn't fit, you have to cut the battery casing and the battery box. However, I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.