Air filter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Air filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2012 WRX has 16k miles. I just took it in for an oil change and the dealer pulled the ...

Air filter

My 2012 WRX has 16k miles. I just took it in for an oil change and the dealer pulled the cabin air filter and air intake filter. They showed them both to me and they both looked somewhat dirty but not horrible. The dealer recommended I replace them at a cost of $50 for the air intake filter and a whopping $70 for the cabin air filter. I declined because this sounded like an exorbitant price to say the least. $120 to replace a couple of air filters?

Furthermore the dealer told me they recommended that I replace the cabin air filter every 7500 miles, so with each oil change.

So my question is, what is a reasonable price for this service, and what are reasonable intervals to replace these items? I am definitely going to DIY the air intake filter as that is right up there with refilling windshield washer fluid. Is the cabin air filter another easy DIY replacement?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Both are easy replacements. That's how and why the dealer removed them to show you.

Prices vary. Reasonable intervals are irrelevant. Only the intervals specified in your owner's manual matter. Follow that schedule, prefer authentic parts, and keep all dated receipts for the parts in case of a future warranty claim.

Only what the maker wrote is relevant. What the dealer recommends is not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You can find a suitable cabin replacement filter on Amazon.com for $15.

You can also find suitable replacement OEM intake air filters for $20-25 or so online as well. Avoid oiled filters like K&N though.

You can certainly change either one easily by yourself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Air filter

I have a few cabin filters sitting around here that will never get used by me. I assume they won't transfer over to the GD STi when I get it. I need to see how much shipping them would be though, and you don't have a location in your profile.
    These are them though, on Amazon. I have 3, unless I use one before trade-in:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VFH5J6
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 12-13-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Correct. The airboxes in the GRs and GDs are different...by just a little bit, but its enough!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I bought an AEM dry flow intake filter from Amazon for $43. I haven't replaced the cabin filter yet. I had to pull the whole airbox out to install it, but it's pretty easy, about 10-15 minute job.

Why would you have to take out the whole airbox? You should just be able to pop open the lid and drop it in.

Air filter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Correct. The airboxes in the GRs and GDs are different...by just a little bit, but its enough!
    Yeah, figured as much. Think the years fit list was 08+ WRX, 09+ Foresters, maybe Legies too.....
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.