2013 wrx gas pedal doesn't feel right...

This is a discussion on 2013 wrx gas pedal doesn't feel right... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I can't seem to get used to driving this car for the life of me. I first thought maybe because ...

2013 wrx gas pedal doesn't feel right...

I can't seem to get used to driving this car for the life of me. I first thought maybe because it is new, awd, different clutch than I'm used to....? But I believe it is the gas pedal that I can't get used to. It seems like it takes extra effort to start pushing it, then after that its started its normal feeling. So from a dead stop when I want to rev it i to say 1500 rpm for a normal easy start, it's almost impossible to do, the pressure it takes to get the pedal started pretty much already takes me past 1500rpm... Anybody notice this? Is it common with wrxs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: 2013 wrx gas pedal doesn't feel right...

Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    I can't seem to get used to driving this car for the life of me. I first thought maybe because it is new, awd, different clutch than I'm used to....? But I believe it is the gas pedal that I can't get used to. It seems like it takes extra effort to start pushing it, then after that its started its normal feeling. So from a dead stop when I want to rev it i to say 1500 rpm for a normal easy start, it's almost impossible to do, the pressure it takes to get the pedal started pretty much already takes me past 1500rpm... Anybody notice this? Is it common with wrxs?

I'm exact opposite in my experience on my 2013 rex - it feelse pretty effortless and easy to depress the pedal... But then the previous car had a linear assertive effort which caused me a couple of days of getting used to the light pedal effort on the rex.... Only gripe I have is the height of the pedal and its shortness in length

If you feel that it is unusually heavy and abrupt in effort and response then take it back for an adjustment.

Do you think this is something the dealer could adjust or are they going to just tell me that I'm not used to te feel of the pedal?
    My pedal also does feel a little on the light side as well whic I don't mind, but not when I first start to press it.....
    I've driven a 100,000 miles on other standard transmissions and never had these kind of troubles.
    I find myself taking twice as long to pull out from a stop because I have to try and feather the pedal perfectly to avoid burning the clutch.

might as well take it in to get checked out...thats what the warranty is for
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Ok. That's the plan then.... Just hope they don't give me the run around, cuz I don't see how I could ever eat used to this pedal.

I Support ClubWRX
    The accelerator is Drive By Wire. Any Engine Management reflash will improve pedal responsiveness by retweaking the accelerator mapping.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The accelerator is Drive By Wire. Any Engine Management reflash will improve pedal responsiveness by retweaking the accelerator mapping.
    And the dealership can do this?

I've driven a 100,000 miles on other standard transmissions and never had these kind of troubles.
    I find myself taking twice as long to pull out from a stop because I have to try and feather the pedal perfectly to avoid burning the clutch.

Wow, that does not sound right...

l am not sure if our vehicle gas pedal and the throttle body are connected via the traditional cable, in which case it should be easily adjusted at the dealer... However if these vehicles are equipped with the more modern digital set up then l am not sure what it could take to calibrate this bug out of the line...

How many miles on the ODO? If you're done with the break-in period, I don't think the dealership can argue for more adjustment period in your case due to the fact you've driven MT vehicles before.

Regardless, a visit to the dealer seems to be appropriate in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Wow, that does not sound right...

l am not sure if our vehicle gas pedal and the throttle body are connected via the traditional cable, in which case it should be easily adjusted at the dealer... However if these vehicles are equipped with the more modern digital set up then l am not sure what it could take to calibrate this bug out of the line...
    About 600 miles on it right now, still breaking it in(hasn't been above 4k rpms yet)
    How many miles on the ODO? If you're done with the break-in period, I don't think the dealership can argue for more adjustment period in your case due to the fact you've driven MT vehicles before.

Regardless, a visit to the dealer seems to be appropriate in your case.

Lol....call it me spell checking and writing long responses and my 1Gb bandwidth, NOT, and I see that I was Wayyyyyy late in my last post....:sly::banghead:

I Support ClubWRX
    And the dealership can do this?
    Not likely. Cobb AP or Opensource Tuning.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

The gas pedal is just a adjustable resistor with a mechanical return spring, and then some electronics to "talk" on the network to the ECU. The ECU operates the throttle electronically. I'm always impressed with how fast it reacts. My car is very responsive to pedal input, it's actually too fast when trying to get going. I rev too high or stall. I noticed that after a ECU reset it is a LOT more tame, but re-learns quickly. Might have to get a tuner's input on if and how this could be adjusted. The stealer won't do it, they'll just tell you that's how it's supposed to be.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    The gas pedal is just a adjustable resistor with a mechanical return spring, and then some electronics to "talk" on the network to the ECU. The ECU operates the throttle electronically. I'm always impressed with how fast it reacts. My car is very responsive to pedal input, it's actually too fast when trying to get going. I rev too high or stall. I noticed that after a ECU reset it is a LOT more tame, but re-learns quickly. Might have to get a tuner's input on if and how this could be adjusted. The stealer won't do it, they'll just tell you that's how it's supposed to be.
    Thats what I was thinking.

This sounds like it is an issue with the mechanical pedal itself, not the mapping. There could be a problem with the pedal pivot or return spring that the dealer can address. To confrim this get on your knees and work the pedal with your hand while the car is turned off. Does it take more effort to move the pedal at the beginning?