E Brake Light...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on E Brake Light... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys just a quick question I was driving today and gunned it on the on ramp of a freeway ...

E Brake Light...

Hey guys just a quick question
    I was driving today and gunned it on the on ramp of a freeway when all of a sudden my brake light came on (the light for parking brake). I had trouble with a bad brake line and I fixed it, bleeding the line and everything. My question is what could this be? My brake fluid is at regular level and though one of my lines has a spot from rubbing, everything looks ok. I do not have a manual so i apologize if this is a stupid one.
    Thanks
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The light comes on for three reasons: the hand brake is on, the fluid level is low due to a leak, or the fluid is low due to normal pad wear. So, check the floater switch and make sure that's not stuck shut (engaging the circuit).

However, since the light came on when the car was leaning, I'd suspect the fluid level itself, and that implies again either normal pad wear or a leak. Double check.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks for the help. It's definitely low fluid and I need my brake pads replaced so I'll be doing that this weekend
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    The light comes on for three reasons: the hand brake is on, the fluid level is low due to a leak, or the fluid is low due to normal pad wear. So, check the floater switch and make sure that's not stuck shut (engaging the circuit).

However, since the light came on when the car was leaning, I'd suspect the fluid level itself, and that implies again either normal pad wear or a leak. Double check.
    I learned this yesterday, but it will also come on if there is an issue with the alternator. My PS/Alt belt disintegrated and it caused that light to come on.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

E Brake Light...

I've seen that when both the battery and brake lights come on together there is a charging issue.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    I've seen that when both the battery and brake lights come on together there is a charging issue.
    For me, it was just BRAKE
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

E Brake Light...

Wow, shocking, never saw that one light alone! Learned something very new and useful, thanks! SD.

Ya it was good for me to learn too. And the thing about the alternator is different but good to know. My pads still have life on them so all I had to do was add fluid which was nice
    charlie

Bugeye wrx

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.