Crashed, need help guys
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Crashed, need help guys within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last night it was raining pretty hard, and i was making a right turn, i'll admit i was taking ...

Crashed, need help guys

So last night it was raining pretty hard, and i was making a right turn, i'll admit i was taking it pretty quick for wet roads because im a stupid kid with the awd everything mentality. Anyways, car hydroplaned, and hit the center divider curb doing about 15 ISH mph...and shes pretty ****ed up, front bumper is bent and scratched, wheel was bent inwards and i had to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees right just to go straight, so i basically limped her home since i wasnt to far.

Today when checking it out, i found out i bent the inner tie rod, so i spent several hours buying a new one, buying the tools i needed, and fixing it, i was really hoping that would be the only problem besides the bumper being beat up. But unfortuneatly, after i took it off the stands and jacks... wheel is still bent inwards a bit and the wheel is pushed way back towards the driver almost scraping.

So my question is what do you guys think it is? Bent Control arm? Or...something... im still learning about cars so go easy on me. And how much do you think it will cost to fix?
    Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hard to say without closely inspecting the damage. You need to get it to a shop and on the alignment rack so they can find out what is bent how far. That will determine whether you can just replace parts, or whether it will take an experienced suspension mechanic.

I was lucky in a similar situation - low speed collision with curb - and just replaced a few parts and had a $69.99 four-wheel alignment done and was back in business. Hope you are as fortunate, it might not be as bad as it looks right now !!!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A bent control arm is possible, and possibly a damaged strut as well since the caster is completely off, from what you describe. Not cheap. If you're REALLY unlucky you may have damaged the spindle assembly too. You could get lucky and find that the camber was just knocked off from the impact, which can be fixed with the turn of a bolt, but the caster isn't adjustable from the factory, so you definitely have something bent somewhere.

Was it only the front driver side that hit? If the rear hit as well, you'll need to check that out as well.

Consider this a cheap lesson learned. Slow down.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to a body shop and have it put up on the rack. They should be able to tell you what's out of place.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Was it only the front driver side that hit? If the rear hit as well, you'll need to check that out as well.
    just the driver side front wheel

and i'll be taking it to a shop tomorrow, crossing my fingers for the best =/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.