Boost Leak? 2012 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost Leak? 2012 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It sounds like more air is rushing in with a hint of a whistle, but it's very loud and getting ...

Boost Leak? 2012 WRX

It sounds like more air is rushing in with a hint of a whistle, but it's very loud and getting progressively worse. Just started happening about 4 days ago out of the blue. The only mods that would have any effect on it would be Stage 1 on the AP, everything else is stock. There seems to be no loss of performance that I can tell, and almost hitting target boost for that map. Checked all the hoses and felt for any air leaking and couldn't find anything. Air temperature doesn't seem to make a difference, was 30į when it happened, and got up to 60į today.

Took it to the dealer and drove it with one of the mechanic in the car and they heard the sound. They are were very useless and clueless, they guy said it could be something with the supercharger... I'll be taking it to a different dealer tomorrow. Thoughts?

Last edited by naked_dave1; 12-03-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Opps, I'm on stage 1 not 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds normal to me. The audio isn't exactly stellar. The turbo will sound slightly different when it gets cold out. If you think it's a boost leak,then do a boost leak test.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That has to be a leak somewhere. It's too loud to be normal turbo noise. I'd be checking to make sure all connections to the charge piping are tight. They can appear to be normal if you're just looking at them, but if the clamps aren't tight and the piping expands, it will let air out. Just feeling for air without load on the engine (at idle, or free-reving in neutral) isn't going to do much, since the turbo doesn't produce the same pressures at idle or in neutral as it does while you are driving. Loose clamps are a common problem with new WRX's these days, there have been a few members I've seen on this forum alone with that problem.

BTW, turbochargers used to be known as turbosuperchargers, so that tech is half-ish right. But I'd still request another tech look at it, simply for not knowing terminology common to the make he's paid to work on (also he's probably an idiot).
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    While I can't listen to the video you posted because of restrictions here, I would recommend having a technician remove the intercooler and take a look at the gaskets on either end of the IC->Throttle Body hose. They are notorious for blowing out and the worm clamps never seem to be tight enough.

I had a rushing air noise that was loud enough I couldn't even hear the turbo spooling. I knew exactly what it was from reading many posts about the same thing but it took a number of times at the dealer to actually get them to look. In the end, it was what I said it was and they fixed it.

One word of advice is not to do it yourself. I had my IC off and tightened everything up but it only lasted a short period of time. The dealership was not happy with me for pulling it myself (legitimate warranty consideration), but if they had fixed it when I asked them to the first 2 times I wouldn't have had to.

Just a guess without being able to see the video, but definitely something I'd put on the top of my list if I was in your position. It happened to me at Stage 1 so I would certainly think the circumstances are even more possible at Stage 2 pushing more power.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Difficult to hear with the video quality (I couldn't hear any whistle), but that sound is definitely not normal on a stock car (+/- stage 1). It would be normal if you had a modified intake (Cobb, AEM or even just K&N panel filter). How many miles do you have on your car? I would definitely have the service department at Subaru go through it carefully (before warranty is up).

I know you mentioned that ambient temperature didn't effect it, but one thing that could happen is in cold weather the rubber and "plastic" of the stock IC system could shrink more then the alloy clamps - creating a leak (theoretically).

P.S. I really hope you were kidding when you said they Subaru tech used the word "supercharger"
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Sounds like it has an aftermarket intake on it, so it's possible you could have a leak. Do you feel any power loss out of the ordinary? As Ying said, its quite possible it could be with the Intercooler/Y-pipe connections. These coming loose is a fairly common thing to occur.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like it has an aftermarket intake on it, so it's possible you could have a leak. Do you feel any power loss out of the ordinary? As Ying said, its quite possible it could be with the Intercooler/Y-pipe connections. These coming loose is a fairly common thing to occur.
    Just a correction ... for the 08+ the "Y-Pipe" is only on the STI ...

On the 08+ WRX, it's a single straight(ish) tube that runs from the side (cold side) of the intercooler to throttle body.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Just got back from the dealer. The issue was the intercooler boot came loose because it was not properly installed at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    P.S. I really hope you were kidding when you said they Subaru tech used the word "supercharger"
    Yep...he did... I hate that dealership, it's were I got my car and had nothing but problems with them

Just a correction ... for the 08+ the "Y-Pipe" is only on the STI ...

On the 08+ WRX, it's a single straight(ish) tube that runs from the side (cold side) of the intercooler to throttle body.
    Thanks for clearing that up! I hadn't seen the 08+ WRX intercoolers...only STIs. Good to know for future reference.

OP, glad it was only something simple Goodluck with your supercharged WRX
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

1+ happy to hear it was a simple fix.

Just out of curiosity ... was it another dealer that diagnosed the problem correctly?

1+ happy to hear it was a simple fix.

Just out of curiosity ... was it another dealer that diagnosed the problem correctly?
    Glad it was a simple and quick fix as well.
    Yeah, it was another dealer that handles more WRX's than others in the area that found and fixed the issue.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Glad the issue was fixed, and also glad it was the same issue others have experienced like I pointed out above.

You definitely should avoid that other dealership like the plague from here on out, me thinks.

Do you know, by chance, if the tech reset your ECU? With a boost leak, the ECU may have learned some less than stellar fueling and timing parameters, might be worth it to reset with your AP and see if it makes a difference.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Glad the issue was fixed, and also glad it was the same issue others have experienced like I pointed out above.

You definitely should avoid that other dealership like the plague from here on out, me thinks.

Do you know, by chance, if the tech reset your ECU? With a boost leak, the ECU may have learned some less than stellar fueling and timing parameters, might be worth it to reset with your AP and see if it makes a difference.
    Yeah, never going back there for anything. ever.
    I'm not sure if they did, but I uninstall my AP and went back to stock when I took it in. And re-flashed it when it was done.

On a side note they washed my car which I didn't know they were going to do and now it has a crap load of swirl mark
    I was pissed because I've always hand washed it and when I took delivery I told them specifically not to wash it because of that reason.
    Oh well, the shinny new car days are over, time to play in some mud

Quote Originally Posted by naked_dave1 View Post
    On a side note they washed my car which I didn't know they were going to do and now it has a crap load of swirl mark
    I was pissed because I've always hand washed it and when I took delivery I told them specifically not to wash it because of that reason.
    Oh well, the shinny new car days are over, time to play in some mud

I hear you there ... when ever I took my WRX in for service I always told them not to wash it - for the same reason. They always looked at me funny

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by naked_dave1 View Post
    Just got back from the dealer. The issue was the intercooler boot came loose because it was not properly installed at the factory.
    Just as I suspected. Glad it was a quick fix. It's unfortunate that this is starting to become a well known issue and Subaru seems to have no permanent solution for it.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast