Boost Leak? 2012 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost Leak? 2012 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Ying Just as I suspected. Glad it was a quick fix. It's unfortunate that this is starting ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Just as I suspected. Glad it was a quick fix. It's unfortunate that this is starting to become a well known issue and Subaru seems to have no permanent solution for it.
    My guess is it just isn't tightened down enough...only permanent solution is to tighten it down adequately? I dunno...I'm a silly 2005 owner.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    My guess is it just isn't tightened down enough...only permanent solution is to tighten it down adequately? I dunno...I'm a silly 2005 owner.
    The whole thing is just poorly designed in my opinion. The glue holding the rubber gaskets (or sleeves) to the tube on either end apparently ends up breaking down. Once that happens the high flowing air essentially can get under the inside of the gasket and just pushes it out. The glue thing is what the tech told me at least when I asked for an explanation for this fairly prevalent problem in the GR's. The worm clamp seems to do it's job for a little but the gaskets are what seem to be the problem more than anything. They just find a way to help work the whole tube loose. Not to say that in this particular case it wasn't properly tightened, but having experienced it myself there's more than just a tight clamp that can make this tube fail. Some people have taken the gaskets completely off and used t-clamps to secure the hose which seems to be the best option other than aftermarket. The only problem with that, though, is that there's an increased possibility for denied warranty work if something would go wrong.

I had an 04 STi once and, if I recall, those rubber gaskets didn't exist. Does your '05? Tried to find a picture of it and this is the best I could do...

2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I saw your video and now I'm a little worried that my car is making the same noise. I thought it was because of cooler air, but not sure now. Did the dealer charge you a diagnostic fee to fix the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by kirizzle View Post
    I saw your video and now I'm a little worried that my car is making the same noise. I thought it was because of cooler air, but not sure now. Did the dealer charge you a diagnostic fee to fix the problem?
    It was all covered under warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by naked_dave1 View Post
    They are were very useless and clueless, they guy said it could be something with the supercharger... I'll be taking it to a different dealer tomorrow. Thoughts?
    Not saying the tech was competent or not...

FYI though, turbocharging is a method of supercharging a vehicle. It's just a specific type. Many older guys tend to say supercharger in place of a turbo... because a turbocharger is a specific type of supercharger.

Glad they found the problem and that it is corrected minus the swirl marks =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Just got back from the dealer. The issue was the intercooler boot came loose because it was not properly installed at the factory.

I was going to say this^^ Same thing happened to mine the second day I had it in October 2011, pain in the butt to see and get to it to push it back on and tighten it.

It was all covered under warranty.
    You saved me, if not for your thread, I wouldn't have gone to the dealer. Just got back, they are ordering a new hose for me. Although in the notes they said that the hose is coming apart, possibly due to overboosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    I had an 04 STi once and, if I recall, those rubber gaskets didn't exist. Does your '05? Tried to find a picture of it and this is the best I could do...

Yeah we definitely don't have any little rubber gaskets. We just have silicone couplers and hose clamps (that aren't even T-Clamps).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Hey all,

I had the same issue on my '12. Looking for others having the issue led me to this site and I signed up. Nice video, sounds almost as bad as mine did. I had the issue at 2500 miles.The part was replaced under warranty with new clamps. Sadly I have hit 4600 and guess what.... Here we go again. Glad to see others are also having the same issue. I'm a Toyota tech and we also own the Subaru dealer here as well and there is no change in the part yet. Was wondering if anyone was aware of an aftermarket solution? To the original poster.... Don't me mad at your dealer. Subarus break so infrequently I'm really not surprised it took a little poking to find it. Our dealership is only 2 years old now and our service manager is also the tech, service writer and parts guy. As the place grows we'll add on. Hoping to get moved over myself. Anyway he's like the Maytag repair man over at the Subaru building. I think if it wasn't for the used cars we sell he'd go insane with bordom. So if anyone has any ideas for replacing this part let me know.

Once I get home i post the fix or aftermarket part for this.. Happened to me twice

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigastt View Post
    Once I get home i post the fix or aftermarket part for this.. Happened to me twice
    I think this is happening to me, how did you fix it?
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

Here is my thread > Fluid Leak *please help* - NASIOC

Here is the fix > 2012 wrx intercooler leak - NASIOC

I bought a aftermarket hose.. And no more problems even on higher boost levels

Anyone getting the hose let me know I'll ask the owner to give you guys discount

I just created a thread about possibly having a boost leak. I cant quite hear a sound like in your video, but I have my datalog graph which brought up my concern. SEE HERE

I am also on a 2012 WRX with a AP Stage 1 tune.
    Is this similar to what you were seeing?
    Do you know if the tech at subaru did a boost leak test on your car prior to pulling the intercooler off?
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

Quote Originally Posted by hindude View Post
    I just created a thread about possibly having a boost leak. I cant quite hear a sound like in your video, but I have my datalog graph which brought up my concern. SEE HERE

I am also on a 2012 WRX with a AP Stage 1 tune.
    Is this similar to what you were seeing?
    Do you know if the tech at subaru did a boost leak test on your car prior to pulling the intercooler off?
    I didn't do data log (would have liked to but didn't have time)
    They knew the problems because there was a bulletin posted by Subaru about that exact issue, so my guess is they didn't do a boost leak test.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.