no power to anything good battery

This is a discussion on no power to anything good battery within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i need HELP asap... i have a new battery yet when i turn my key nothing turns on ...

no power to anything good battery

hey guys i need HELP asap... i have a new battery yet when i turn my key nothing turns on not even a click or nudge. the only thing that works are my parking lights and the dinging noise when i have my key in and the door open. ive checked all the fuses (i think) and everthing seems fine. checked all wires and nothing seems bad. now with that said i was recently under the hood and had a screw driver fall and cause a spark near the alternator. i have a feeling that might have something to do with it i just cant think of what. please some of you subaru gods help me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, if the starter doesn't even try to engage, there could be a fault with the relay. Give that a glance. Could also be that your starter has just decided to give up the ghost.

Shorts like that can cause problems all over the place, some of them cheap and easy fixes, some of them not so much. Did the car start after the screwdriver incident, or is this the first time you've tried?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Well, if the starter doesn't even try to engage, there could be a fault with the relay. Give that a glance. Could also be that your starter has just decided to give up the ghost.

Shorts like that can cause problems all over the place, some of them cheap and easy fixes, some of them not so much. Did the car start after the screwdriver incident, or is this the first time you've tried?

thats actually the first time i tried, and yeah like i get no power, stero doesnt turn on no gauge lights not even windows its crazy but yet my parking and hazard lights work thats it

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you check the underhood fuse box by the battery? It has all the main relays/fuses in it including the large main fuse.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Did you check the underhood fuse box by the battery? It has all the main relays/fuses in it including the large main fuse.
    Yeah i checked all the fuses not the relays though didn't really know how to check those

i think there is a "MAIN" fuse in there... It would allow for emergency type power, like parking lights and emergency flasher, but everything else would be dead. I can't get into it right now but will check in the evening. BTW, what model year? Mine's an 08, so might not be the same...

Edit: I just looked, mine has a 120A fuse bolted in in the fuse box under the hood. I think it is a main. It's marked as "main SFB", whatever that might mean.
    Last edited by Ingo; 11-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    i think there is a "MAIN" fuse in there... It would allow for emergency type power, like parking lights and emergency flasher, but everything else would be dead. I can't get into it right now but will check in the evening. BTW, what model year? Mine's an 08, so might not be the same...
    Yeah i think.there is a main one too.i just dnt know which one and if u can id appreciate it and mines an 02

See above.... and mine is an 09, just falls into the 08+ category... Anyways, it's not ecaxtly same as the 02, but yours is likely somewhat like that. So look for a really big fuse, as I said, in mine it's actually bolted in. Main fuse compartment under the hood.

Also, take the battery terminals off and clean them. There may be enough resistance built up that the higher power required by the starter is not getting through. Dropping the screwdriver could just be a coincidence.

There is no power to start with. Means the main fuse is out. It's not like power drops out when he tries to start, that would be bad contact at the batt terminals... He has no way of getting the car to even TRY to start. I'm sure the starter would work if it got the signal, but there is no control "voltage" (for lack of better terms). And that likely happened when the screw driver dropped... "There was a bit of sparking..." means the fuse did it's job and now needs to be replaced.Power cable from battery to starter has NO fuse whatsoever. That's because the starter needs a whole lot of current, in the hundreds of amps. Starting in itself basically is a short circuit as far as the battery is concerned. That's why there is the term of cranking amps and amp-hours when looking at batteries.

HEre's diagrams from 09, your will be different in some aspects, but I'd think the basics will be the same: Main Fuse between alternator and battery. This I feel for sure is whats wrong. Notice there's no fuse in the power wire to the starter.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Let's make this a little more simple, shall we?

From your owners manual, which you can find here:
    http://www.subaru.com/owners/resourc...ls/search.html

Main fuse is labeled "B" below

Here is a link to the 02 WRX wiring diagrams that you may or may not need, depending on what you find with that main fuse:
    http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/7%20-%20WIRING.PDF
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

heys guys sorry computer crashed but thanks for all the help it was the dang main fuse. it didnt look blown but it was and its back up and running thanks again

^ You're quite welcome, and thanks for the feed-back, now we know we could at least point the right direction.

Nice to see internet wrenching work!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"