What could cause high boost readings and bad gas mileage ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What could cause high boost readings and bad gas mileage ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Monday morning while driving to work, I noticed my boost gauge was reading about 10-15 lbs of boost higher than ...

Question What could cause high boost readings and bad gas mileage ?

Monday morning while driving to work, I noticed my boost gauge was reading about 10-15 lbs of boost higher than normal. For example, when going up a slight hill, it usually reads minus-10 lbs on the gauge, and it was reading +5 lbs of boost.

The engine did not seem like it was laboring any harder than usual, but I burned about 2 times the usual amount of gas going to work and back. I was just driving along with traffic, not accelerating fast or anything. A 42-mile round trip, combination city-hwy.

The next day, it acted completely normal, with the boost gauge reading like it should and the gas mileage going back up to normal. Since then, I have reset the ECU and re-flashed.

Any ideas what would make it temporarily show way-higher boost and burn up twice the gas ? I eliminated things like parking brake engaged, foot on the brakes.

'09 WRX, Catback, Cobb Stage 1, no other power mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How does it act during other driving? Take the hill out of the equation.

Thing is, you're not overboosting per say in that situation because you aren't over the target boost...it's hard to say. Something may be causing you to run rich. You should run some datalogs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It was showing abnormally high boost the entire day, like -0- when going down the highway, when it usually reads minus-15. I will run some logs if it acts up again. It is like it was stuck on the "cold-engine" mode or something.

Yeah run logs anyway so you can be sure you're alright. What boost gauge do you have? Its quite possible the problem lies within there alone.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I have a Prosport "Premium Series Peak/Warning Amber/White with White Pointer clear lens" gauge. I will run some logs and look for rich conditions. Thanks for the input !!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Confirm that your gauge is lining up with the MAP sensor
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

"Confirm that your gauge is lining up with the MAP sensor "

Sorry ... how would I go about doing that ??!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058
    "Confirm that your gauge is lining up with the MAP sensor "

Sorry ... how would I go about doing that ??!!
    Use the AP to log boost data
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.