General information for my '10 Wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on General information for my '10 Wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm pretty sure this is where I am supposed to post this. I'm new to the forum and just ...

So I'm pretty sure this is where I am supposed to post this. I'm new to the forum and just read the rules, so if I'm in the wrong place, let me know and ill move it.
    So I just bought my first subaru, a '10 WRX. Got it from the local dealer, they had it from a trade in. I was told it is 99% stock other then a Perrin front strut brace and a somewhat (I think) badly installed aftermarket boost gauge. I think there may be more done to it than the dealer knew, I know it's near impossible for anyone to really tell me much without seeing the car, once I get some spare time ill post some photos of it.
    I have 2 main questions, first, will installing and then removing a cold air intake cause any detriment the the car? I found instructions in the car for a Perrin cold air intake that is no longer on the car.
    Secondly, and this may be a super newb question, but with a stock wrx should I be able to hear the blow-off valve when shifting and hitting boost?

Just trying to get some info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Definitely sounds like there is a lot more going on with this car than a strut brace and a gauge. Get those photos up when you can.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Definitely get some engine bay pics up. You should not be able to hear the BOV/BPV noise with a stock car. That leads me to believe that 1 or 2 things have been done:

A COBB intake (looks stock if you dont know what it looks like), but since there were instructions for a perrin CAI, I doubt it.

Second, an aftermarket BOV or BPV.

Pics would show both of these.

Thanks! Ill get some photos up in the morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	109913Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	109914Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	109915Here is a photo of the engine bay, hope this can help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawlass View Post
    I have 2 main questions, first, will installing and then removing a cold air intake cause any detriment the the car?
    Installing the CAI could cause a serious issue without tuning. Removing one should not be an issue as long as the previous one did not have an ECU retune for it(which I doubt it did).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawless
    Secondly, and this may be a super newb question, but with a stock wrx should I be able to hear the blow-off valve when shifting and hitting boost?
    You have been watching to much "Fat and the Furriest" The WRX's,as most other OEM turbo vehicles,use a diverter or bypass valve. It vents internally back into the system. Generally pretty quiet as it is dampened by the stock intake system. It is more audible with an aftermarket intake but nothing like a vent to atmosphere BOV.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hahaha! I have serious problems with any of the fast and funniest movies, for starters they shift way to much on the highway lol.
    Thanks for the information, I know I sound like an old man, but I didn't want it to have any modifications. I wanted it to be quick and reliable. friends of mine with modified subarus seem to spend more time on jack stands then actually driving.

Now that I'm looking at this thread without a couple strong beers in me, I have to clarify something. Did you ask about the blow off valve noise because you are hearing it, or because you aren't and thought you should?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sorry for any confusion, I was asking if I should be hearing the bov. I wasn't sure how the stock system works.

Just looking at this from my cell phone (Im at work), all I see other than the strut bar is an aftermarket oil cap, painted alternator/air pump covers, and what looks like a plug-n-play HID kit (silver ballast).

Based on all that, it looks "stock". The one thing to worry about would be the fact that it may have had a CAI installed. If the previous owner tuned for it like they should, then you need to worry about wether or not they flashed the ECU back to stock. If they did not tune for the intake, then you need to worry about damage that was already done by them.

You can go to the dealer and have them read the ECU. They can tell how many times it has been flashed. That should be able to give you some idea of whether or not the intake was tuned for, and if so, whether or not it was flashed back to stock when it was removed.

Example: 2 flashes - flashed for intake, flashed when intake removed. It could also mean - flashed for intake, flashed for downpipe (if there was one). This leads to a second option...

Have a tuner look at a log and see what the A/F ratios and timing look like compared to a stock log.

My guess is that if the car doesn't feel rough and there is no CEL, then the previous owner probably removed everything and flashed back to stock. In my book though, it's better to be safe than sorry...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In my experience, those who paint alternator covers, install HIDs in halogen reflectors, and spend the money on a front strut tower bar that is NOT necessary generally do not have the sense to tune the car for an intake. However, that is entirely based on heuristic assessment. Good luck.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I spy with my little eye, a HID ballast.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Yea, please excuse the painted plastic parts, I'm not a fan. It seems that it's mostly stock so that's good. I just don't want to have to worry about reliability.
    Thanks for all the help!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.