Another rough running wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another rough running wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to help a buddy, 02 WRX rough idle, replaced plugs and they turn black immediately. compression varies from 95 ...

Another rough running wrx

Trying to help a buddy, 02 WRX rough idle, replaced plugs and they turn black immediately. compression varies from 95 to 140, did notice turbo intake ripped at clamp by turbo. Could this be issue? Anyway to test coils? They all create spark turning over with spark tester. Has 154,000 miles and not sure of history. Looking for some direction. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by late96 View Post
    did notice turbo intake ripped at clamp by turbo. Could this be issue?
    This is a issue. There is another.

compression varies from 95 to 140,
    That's an issue. I believe the service limit is 122 or something like that; in any case, it's higher than 90. That's a problem.

Anyway to test coils?
    You have low compression in a cyl. That sounds from here like a show stopper.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks, I will double check again tommorrow, doesn't look good according to your thoughts. Did'nt want to start throwing parts at it if it was done. thanks Brian

I Support ClubWRX
    engine may be toast with jacked up compression. when you say varies.. do you mean between cyls? was it tested cold or warm? leakdown performed?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I checked it warm, I will recheck tonight. Should it bee warm and how long should I crank? I was counting about 5 compression strokes per cyl. The 2 plugs on passanger bank will turn carbon black in 2-5 minutes of running, these if I recall were the lowest on compression. Thanks Brian

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by late96 View Post
    The 2 plugs on passanger bank will turn carbon black in 2-5 minutes of running, these if I recall were the lowest on compression. Thanks Brian
    Sounds like goners. Just make sure you hold the throttle plate open when you are doing the compression check. You only need 1 compression stroke. A leak down test might be able to tell you if it is valves or rings.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So warm or cold or does'nt matter? Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    You want to do it warm. Google search "compression test".
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok, ran car for like 5 minutes, copression test oassanger side 105 and 110 drivers side 150 and 155. Any suggestions? Thanks Brian

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out why two cyls have lower compression than the service limit whereas the other two are seem in great shape. At this point see what you're willing to do as far as digging. A leakdown isn't too much hassle and might tell you if it's top end or not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just finished leakdown. Front passenger side 10% and rear passenger side 28%. Now what

Sounds like your rings are toast on the passenger side. It could be the valves too, but my money's on the rings. Time to either rebuild the engine or buy a new one.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.