Odd noise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Odd noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, As I was driving to work today, I had to step on the gas a bit and when ...

Odd noise

Hello all,

As I was driving to work today, I had to step on the gas a bit and when the turno kicked it I noticed an odd loud kind of a whistling noise. It sounds a lot like a large turbo, but I have never heard this coming from my car. Does anyone have any clue what this could be?
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turbo spool - it is a normal wonderful sound
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

I dunno...I'd be worried. We don't have large turbos

It's probably just spool. Don't be alarmed. If you're truly uncertain however...take it to the dealer. You have a warranty for a reason

Was it colder than usual? Add an intake perhaps before driving it? Notice any change in power delivery?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Boost leak? Exhaust leak?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No, I know what the turbo normally sounds like when it spools and this was a similiar sound but much louder.

I had not changed anything since the last thing I stepped on it so it.

I ran a slight bit slower but it could just be in my head. still pulls when the turbo spools but maybe not as hard, could a boost leak cuz a small change in power?
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    You have an AP. What do you max at when you datalog boost in 3rd/4th gear?

UNYSOC

With the sound starting with no changes to the car, and a possible/probable loss of power, I'd say it's a boost leak.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    Turbo spool - it is a normal wonderful sound
    I think something's wrong, I have a '13 and I can hardly hear the turbo spool at all, and the sound I hear sounds closer to a supercharger than a turbocharger. This is actually one of the first turbo cars I've owned/ driven that you can't really hear the turbo. OT but does anyone know why you can't hear the turbos on the WRX very well. Is it because of a highly restrictive stock air box? or is the sound deadening material in the car?
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock air box is not highly restrictive. It does contain baffles and other design cues to silence the sounds of the spooling and recerc valve, but it is not really considered restrictive....not unless you are trying to puch more than like 350/400 at the wheels.

The above being said, adding a short-ram or cold air intake will drastically increase the sounds you hear as neither of those have silencing baffles.

And as Mikie noted above, then it is colder out, air is more dense, which can increase the whistle noise a bit.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    The stock air box is not highly restrictive. It does contain baffles and other design cues to silence the sounds of the spooling and recerc valve, but it is not really considered restrictive....not unless you are trying to puch more than like 350/400 at the wheels.

The above being said, adding a short-ram or cold air intake will drastically increase the sounds you hear as neither of those have silencing baffles.

And as Mikie noted above, then it is colder out, air is more dense, which can increase the whistle noise a bit.
    Yeah mine definitely doesn't make a whistle sound (I had an '05 Ram Cummins diesel) so I know what the normal whistle sound is like, mine is more like a supercharger whine, and only barely audible above 4k RPM and on the gas.

I will take it less sound is better and means everything is functioning as it should.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX
    Depends on what you feel is "restrictive". An intake on a VF car should net 10+whp @ StageII levels with proper tuning (not Cobb base map) over the stock airbox.

UNYSOC

Odd noise

Does it sound like this?

1st vid of the odo. Sorry for the quality, taken with iPhone. Notice 0:03, 0:09, & 0:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VS...s&feature=plcp

2nd vid is on the iPhone on the iPhone holder, just to hear the sound clearer. Notice 0:04 & 0:10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxEv...o&feature=plcp

The whistling sound gets really loud when above 75mph-80mph over 3200rpm when pushing the gas pedal harder than normal to flooring it. I brought to the dealer, they couldn't imitate it bc apparently they could only bring it to hwy speeds. I showed them the vid, they said its normal when you are making the turbo work harder than a conservative drive. All the hosing was tight and snug, they said the turbo was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    Does it sound like this?

1st vid of the odo. Sorry for the quality, taken with iPhone. Notice 0:03, 0:09, & 0:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VS...s&feature=plcp

2nd vid is on the iPhone on the iPhone holder, just to hear the sound clearer. Notice 0:04 & 0:10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxEv...o&feature=plcp

The whistling sound gets really loud when above 75mph-80mph over 3200rpm when pushing the gas pedal harder than normal to flooring it. I brought to the dealer, they couldn't imitate it bc apparently they could only bring it to hwy speeds. I showed them the vid, they said its normal when you are making the turbo work harder than a conservative drive. All the hosing was tight and snug, they said the turbo was fine.

I think we have the same issue/sound.

It sounds like more air is rushing in with a hint of a whistle, but it's very loud and getting progressively worse. Just started happening about 4 days ago out of the blue. The only mods that would have any effect on it would be Stage 2 on the AP. There seems to be no loss of performance that I can tell. Checked all the hoses and felt for any air leaking and couldn't find anything. Temperature doesn't seem to make a difference, was 30° when it happened, and got up to 60° today. Took it to the dealer and drove it with one of the mechanic in the car and they heard the sound. They are were very useless and clueless, they guy said it could be something with the supercharger...

I'll be taking it to a different dealer tomorrow. And if you find anything out let me know. I'll post what I find.

Odd noise

Supercharger? LMAO!

Yea I have another appointment with another dealer later this week just to confirm everything is ok. Ill keep you posted. Let me know if you hear anything else. Thanks!

Just got back from the dealer. The issue was the intercooler boot came loose because it was not properly installed at the factory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast