Timing belt whining noise.

This is a discussion on Timing belt whining noise. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I just recently changed my timing belt and after a few days of driving with the new belt ...

Timing belt whining noise.

Hey guys, I just recently changed my timing belt and after a few days of driving with the new belt I started noticing a whining noise coming from the timing belt area. At first I thought it was because it was a new belt and I just needed to break it in, but after a couple hundred miles the noise still persists. My friend mentioned it might be my bearing since I didn't get that replaced when I changed the belt. I just wanted to get some input from you guys and see what advice you guys can give me.

Car specs: 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX, stock(aside for a GFB BOV that I got for free)

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Find the whine. First, exclude the exterior (visible) belts by removing one, then the other, and seeing if the whine persists. If it persists, remove a timing cover (or more, your call) and see if there is any interference with the new belt. If you cleaned up everything before putting on the new belt (I did, because I was told it's good practice, and in fact it is good practice so I hope you did too) you should not see any black debris or fine poweder anywhere -- if you do, suspect it's coming from the new belt and find out why.

There is no specific "bearing" that will produce a whine; there are many bearings, and each can do so. If you didn't replace the tensioner, that could do it, for example, but there's no specific reason it'd start now all of a sudden -- there's nothing to say it didn't, but the point is you'll have to troubleshoot everything individually if you can't ID the cause.

I'd find the cause yesterday though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It's definitely the BOV.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    It's definitely the BOV.

Seriously though, there's not really any benefit to the BOV, and it could possibly be harmful to your car. You might want to take it off.

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

You should have had the tensioner and water pump replaced when you did it. Either of them could be causing the noise. My first guess would be the tensioner. Take a piece of hollow tubing and hold one end to your ear and put the other end next to these two parts and see which one is producing the noise, and if it isn't those, keep moving to different areas/parts until you find it. Be careful not to hit the pipe against the belt or any other moving parts unless you want to get another hole in your head...

And yes remove that BOV asap!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading