Winding/grinding sound, can't put a finger on it
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Winding/grinding sound, can't put a finger on it within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alrighty. 2002 WRX wagon, 5 speed. Been having this issue for a short while now. Basically it sounds something like ...

Question Winding/grinding sound, can't put a finger on it

Alrighty. 2002 WRX wagon, 5 speed.

Been having this issue for a short while now. Basically it sounds something like a whiny grinding sound that gets higher pitched and louder the faster I go. Anything under 30mph is almost inaudible. Highway speeds is loudest. It's not brake or clutch related, nor does it change when I turn the wheel. This leads me to believe it could be something with the front left half shaft (which was replaced barely a year ago) or maybe the bearings. Had the wheel off and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and money is somewhat tight, so I'm afraid to take it to the shop before I get some other ideas.

Anyone have any?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Small bump. Sounds like it may be coming from the tranny itself. I've checked the gear oil and it's nice and full. Any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    my guess would be wheel bearing or diff. How many miles on the car and what year?
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 11-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

2002 with about 147k on it. Sound is coming from the front.

I Support ClubWRX
    sounds like a bearing needs repacked or replaced
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah I figured it may be something like that. Any idea on repair costs? Never had to in any vehicle I've had.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.