04 WRX with cooling issues

This is a discussion on 04 WRX with cooling issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So after a lot of reading I decided to post my own thread because it seems like a unique riddle. ...

04 WRX with cooling issues

So after a lot of reading I decided to post my own thread because it seems like a unique riddle.

Here's the car and recent info.

04 WRX wagon with HKS BOV and 3" catless Up pipe 138,900 miles.
    Timing belt and water pump done at 111k
    New ignition coils and spark plugs at 138,500 due to misfire in cyl 1 and 3

Here's what's going on.

A poor weld on the downpipe has produced a leak close to the turbo. The leak is not from the flange but from an actual small hole in the weld. I planned on replacing it with an entire Cobb TBE but I want to solve the rest of the issues before doing so.

Last night, the heat stopped working in the car and the temp gauge said the car was overheating after driving for 10 minutes. I pulled over and the motor was cool to the touch. Once the car reached H on the gauge the heater did start blowing hot air. The gauge would drop to normal temp by simply pulling over and letting the car idle.

There are no external leaks from the car and the coolant level was only slightly low, but there is a smell of burning coolant. (I attributed this to the downpipe leak).

The car does not idle rough and it hasn't lost any power or acceleration. I have read a lot of threads with the issues I've mentioned but none that have them all simultaneously. Are these issues related? I appreciate any and all input. This is my first turbocharged car and it's like learning a new language.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why would a small hole in the downpipe cause a car to overheat? The cooling system and the exhaust system are completely different and separate. You have an issue with the cooling system. For now, don't even worry about the exhaust; as the worst that is doing is causing a nasty exhaust smell, and probably a raspy sound. It should be fixed, but I wouldn't worry about it until you want to.

How long has it been since the timing belt and water pump were done? Could be that the pump has partially failed. Could be that the thermostat has failed. Could be a clogged radiator. It's likely, however, that air has been introduced to the system. You will want to burp the system to get all of the air out, but that's just a quick fix to a, likely, larger problem. You would need to identify how that air got into the system in the first place. If you've allowed a leaking system to get really low on coolant, air would replace it, and eventually cause problems for you.

First thing's first, check the actual level of the coolant in the radiator (at stone cold), if you can, and in the secondary resevoir. Top off as necessary and go through the recommended burping practice. If this doesn't fix the symptoms, you have more investigative work to do. But you need to watch for any and all possible leaks. If coolant is disappearing, there's a problem somewhere.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!