Overheating Impreza
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Overheating Impreza within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys I have a Subaru Impreza Sports Wagon GT , Own it now for 4 months . Was running ...

Overheating Impreza

Hi Guys
    I have a Subaru Impreza Sports Wagon GT , Own it now for 4 months .
    Was running great and still is ,require help .
    It overheated twice in time frame of a month its engine did not cut out ,but steam was present,and discovered a leak in the radiator .
    The leak is fix ,the car run like super sonic destroyer ,asking the trottle to open up more and more .
    No white gue on the dip stick ,no coffee mixture in radiator.
    It can rev 6500 with no efford if required .
    Question is must I do the heads , could she have had been damaged.
    Presently planning to install performance exhaust system and slap on bigger turbo .
    The whole set up ,already have STI gear box.

Any advice .
    Midblue

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Clarify your question.

Is there a problem with the car NOW?

If not, why would you want to "do" the heads, and what does "doing" the heads mean?

Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Overheating Problem

Thanks for reply
    I have a concearn if I could have hurt the engine in the process .
    The first incident ,the heat gauge start moving to high ,and I switch off the engine .
    Second incident ,I was pulling up to fill up the gas and discoved steam form the engine bay ,but the motor did not cut out .
    The heat gauge was under second marker of high ,the Impreza is not down on performance it stiil does 0 - 60 Miles /Hour in 5.9 sec
    I took it for a radiator pressure test and the owner or Silverton Radiators said the fliud turn from Blue to Green
    Is this a indication of a damaged head gasket .
    The plan is to fit a pro -drive kit to enhance performance .
    Should the head gasket be a concearn .
    Need advice .
    Midblue

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Midblue View Post
    I took it for a radiator pressure test and the owner or Silverton Radiators said the fliud turn from Blue to Green
    Is this a indication of a damaged head gasket .
    I've not seen that before. Since the shop owner mentioned this, what did (s)he say could be the cause?

Since you are concerned about the head gaskets, have a shop specifically diagnose those. When you tested the system at the radiator shop, did it lose pressure?

Are you losing coolant?

Do you smell coolant?

Are there any signs of trouble at all?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Overheating Problem

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've not seen that before. Since the shop owner mentioned this, what did (s)he say could be the cause?

Since you are concerned about the head gaskets, have a shop specifically diagnose those. When you tested the system at the radiator shop, did it lose pressure?

Are you losing coolant?

Do you smell coolant?

Are there any signs of trouble at all?
    The concearn is could the incident have damaged my head gasket .
    The guy at the radiator shop ,said there was pressure ,but the second test he took to pipets on top of each other.
    Top pipet was filled with dye ,blue with when squessed turn green.
    I do not know if this test valid on a Subaru .
    The level of the coolant remains the same full , I do not smell coolant .
    Should I have concerns
    The performance is spot on of the Subaru .
    Thanks For advice
    Midblue

I Support ClubWRX

Overheating Impreza

What was the purpose of the pipette test?

What was the interpretation of the results?

Have you asked these two questions at the garage doing the test?

If yes, what are the answers?

If not, ask them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Moved to the appropriate forum. Website/forum support is really for problems with the site, not with the cars.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The purpose of the pipet test was to determine ,if there is a leak in the head gasket.
    The change in color of the dye ,scientifically answered that ,yes but is it valid .
    When my Datsun 1967 model 1600 sss overheated ,the test was also positive .
    The reason that confirmed this was that the oil in the dipstick was creamy .
    It as we call it blow top gasket.
    But now the Subaru ,goes like the Bullet train ,no creamy mixture in oil and dipstix.
    No coolant leaks and no smell of coolant .
    The Subaru is turbo charged ,has external pressure release valve .
    Is a flat four

Does this defy the laws of physics
    Midblue .
    Any other brand is not going like a normal train even
    Last edited by Midblue; 11-20-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: addition

The turbo is watercooled and might throw off that particulat test. I'd take it to a subaru shop and have it checked - if it really bothers you. OTOH, you might just drive it until (if ever) you notice other symptoms. I think I would at this point - just keep driving it, I mean. Maybe occasionally check the pressure on the cooling system by squeezing one of the rubber hoses to see if it gets unusual hard, indicating (maybe) a temp problem that MIGHT be related to head gasket...
    Additional: a blown head gasket will make itself known, sooner or later, but likely sooner.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Moved to the appropriate forum. Website/forum support is really for problems with the site, not with the cars.
    Oops, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Midblue View Post
    The purpose of the pipet test was to determine ,if there is a leak in the head gasket.
    The change in color of the dye ,scientifically answered that ,yes but is it valid .
    My feeling is that yes, it's valid.

Have a garage diagnose the cooling system, specifically the head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Oops, thanks!

My feeling is that yes, it's valid.

Have a garage diagnose the cooling system, specifically the head gaskets.
    Thanks Guys
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge .
    Will do so ,to be safe by checking out the radiator.
    I do not know why ,but at the time of the test ,the radiator hoses were hard ,rock solid hard .
    The over heating was not caused by the norm ,but by a leak in radiator .
    I had it fixed and cleaned .
    Filled her up with ,coolant and water .
    Now no water escapes and the coolant resevior seem to be operating well .
    Radiator hoses are soft ,she go perfect .
    Having drag run 01/12 2012 @ Saldanha so will just be carefull to check her out before the event .
    What is funny thou is I fitted a external pressure release valve ,which when I reved 4000 and above made the sound of air being released.
    Then I properly blocked off the pipe below the inter -cooler and it only blows off sound when accelarating and reach 4000 revs and beyond .
    Normal ?
    Thanks for sharing your Knowlegde
    Midblue

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.