03 wrx turbo seals

This is a discussion on 03 wrx turbo seals within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 03 wrx i bought about 3 weeks ago, and my oil was changed about 1000 miles ago, ...

03 wrx turbo seals

I have an 03 wrx i bought about 3 weeks ago, and my oil was changed about 1000 miles ago, recently my oil light came on and I checked it. I had about 1 quart left!? So so I added 3 quarts of penzoil 5w30 full synthetic and 3 days later my light is on again and in low on oil. Recently i have been hearing a whistle from my car when I accelerate quickly. My car does have the snorkus delete but the sound is different. I'm wondering if my turbo seal could be bad and that's why I'm loosing oil and hearing the noise? Also my car had been knocking (boosting inconsistent psi). Also I don't think this is relevant but I redlined in 2nd about a week ago and the rev limiter kicked in. Not sure if that could be why but I'm just listing out everything I know
    Here are all my mods
    OEM SHORT SHIFTER
    OEM BOOST GAGUE
    OEM WEIGHTED SHIFT KNOB
    TSUDO 3inch TURBO BACK (catless) EXHAUST
    SNORKUS DELETE
    RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPPS
    K&N AIR FILTER
    KYB SUSPENSION
    TENZO DC-5 17in bronze rims

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

03 wrx turbo seals

That much oil will leave a trail. Find it. Either there's juice coming out the motor or burning through it, so look for oil on the motor or smoke out the tail.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How would I check for this. I know my car isn't leaking because there is no oil In my driveway where it's parked.

I Support ClubWRX

03 wrx turbo seals

Check the motor itself for leaks, not the driveway, top to bottom. Also see whether there are clouds of smoke coming out the tail.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This is what the exhaust looks like,could it be burning oil

I Support ClubWRX

03 wrx turbo seals

Smoke?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(17).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	109609

also i really appreciate you help this is my first car so im new to all of this

I Support ClubWRX

03 wrx turbo seals

Smoke is abnormal. Take the car to a shop. They may want to do a compression test to exclude the motor itself as the source, depending on what they see.

ok thanks i appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Bmatt2c View Post
    I had about 1 quart left!? So so I added 3 quarts of penzoil 5w30 full synthetic and 3 days later my light is on again and in low on oil.

I doubt you were 3QUARTS low on oil... Don't drive it with 3 quarts over filled. 3 quarts low would not eve show up on the dipstick. I think the low mark on the dipstick is 1 quart low. So, if you start with full oil, then burn 1 quart in 1000 miles, your oil level should be at the very bottom of the dipstick.

If you drive it over filled with oil, you'll cause major problems. I bet your turbo is just burning a little oil, like the seals are going out. The dipsticks on these cars are very finicky, they read weird sometimes. Oil sometimes travels up the dipstick and gives a false reading, and they are VERY sensitive to level. What I mean by that is you really need to check it on dead level ground. I always check it in my driveway in the same exact spot and I always try to fill up at the exact same pump in town, and I'll check it there too. For consistency, check exactly 5 mins after shutting off the engine, and also when it's cold to the touch. you have to check multiple times to get an accurate reading, like I said, the oil sometimes travels up the dipstick tube. So take the dipstick out, wipe it clean. Jam it in there, take it out, look, wipe clean. Repeat 3 or so times.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by juicebox View Post
    I doubt you were 3QUARTS low on oil

If it took 3 quarts to come up to full, then he was three quarts low.

The exhaust should be clear, no smoke. So like Spiros said, I would have a shop do a compression check just to help narrow it down. Could be excesive blow by due to bad rings or some other engine failure (lets hope not), or could be turbo. A replacement turbo shouldn't cost you too much.

Any tune for your mods?

Also...I'm pretty sure any sustained knocking isn't a good thing as you mentioned in your first post...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying