Subaru is baffled, as am I. Please help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru is baffled, as am I. Please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This part was leaking power steering fluid so i took it off to replace. Well I go to Subaru and ...

Subaru is baffled, as am I. Please help

This part was leaking power steering fluid so i took it off to replace. Well I go to Subaru and they dont have any idea as to what it is because the part diagrams they use dont show this part as being there. Rather, they show that instead of this line being connected to a hose they show that it is one solid line but trust me thats not right. They asked their techs as well and they dont have any idea, therefore i am on my own and could use the help.

I know its not the return line because there is pressure in the line when the car is on. I know that it is located under the car on the drivers side near the rack. Seemed like this was going to be an easy fix but i cant find the part to save my life. Please help lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5547.jpg   DSCN5546.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not have it looked at & replaced under warranty?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I dont have a warranty. wish i did I have been doing all my own work on this car because Subaru wont touch it due to them not being able to gurantee their work. This is because its modded

I Support ClubWRX
    You can upload pics to Photobucket & paste the url. Post as many pics as you want.

Have you tried to take it in to the dealer. There shouldn't be a reason for denial. I know of at least one member who had a power steering fluid leak fixed under warranty on his Stage 2 car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yeah I thought so too but the dealership out here wont touch it and they guy i bought it from bought the car in Cali and in in NY. Subarus guys think that the line is one solid line, which when i took it off there was the piece in the pic, connected to a hose, then another piece like in the pic on the other side. These were clamped down and that was it. Looking at the subaru diagram there is no hoses at all down there, I dont want to buy a part that dont fit because the return policy here is ridiculous. Hands are tied

They can't deny your warranty because of modification, they can deny warranty work that is directly caused by a modified part though. Take it to another dealer, my power steering is leaking too. Theyre repairing it even though I'm modified and purchased it from VA.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    They can't deny your warranty because of modification, they can deny warranty work that is directly caused by a modified part though. Take it to another dealer, my power steering is leaking too. Theyre repairing it even though I'm modified and purchased it from VA.
    Ya ill have to try and go down to Syracuse then i suppose. I was looking at the pics i got and it might be able to be replaced by the power steering high pressure hose #22 on the diagram on subaru.com. I just need to find someone else that has done it so that i KNOW its the right part.
    Last edited by KCAN13; 11-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The only related thread on the issue. Doesn't look like the leak is in the same spot though. I don't see Part #22

Anyone know anything about the steering valve assemby?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The only related thread on the issue. Doesn't look like the leak is in the same spot though. I don't see Part #22

If you go to subaru.com and then steering for a 2005 wrx. Once you get there and go to the second set of diagrams, youll see #22. I was looking at the pic i have and it disconnects on both ends, therefore #22 being the pressure pipe its the only one that seems long enough to be it. Plus, when i noticed the leak it was spraying so i know i had pressure. The return pipe doesnt have any pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

Haha now im confused tho because the diagram you showed me could have the part i need too. Darn it

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Subaru is baffled, as am I. Please help

Ah my bad for thinking you had a newer model. The 13 in your user name was misleading,lol.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

As a plumber i would say just get a couple 3/8 compression couplings and a piece of 3/8 soft copper and replace the piece of pipe that has a leak in it.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Haha that would be nice lol. So when using photobucket which url do i use so that you can see these photos

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    As a plumber i would say just get a couple 3/8 compression couplings and a piece of 3/8 soft copper and replace the piece of pipe that has a leak in it.
    As you can see in the pic, the guy before me tried to go a route similair to the one you have by brazing the metal and it lasted awhile but failed eventually. Therefore ima have to figure this out and get the part designed for the car.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o773/Kcanfield13/imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o773/Kcanfield13/imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

These are the photos of the two sides that im talking about. the Hose was connected to the part you see in the first photo on the original post. Where you can see the threads is where it goes in and then you have the other side that can also be disconnected.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 11-18-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: edited for pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.