How did this happen? (Knocking)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How did this happen? (Knocking) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I finally got my 2004 WRX on track yesterday. Something I've been wanting to do since I bought it ...

How did this happen? (Knocking)

So I finally got my 2004 WRX on track yesterday. Something I've been wanting to do since I bought it 3 years ago. I had just put new all-season z-rated tires, and new pads and rotors, so I figured it was time to have some fun. Check fluids ahead of time, and was a little more than a quart low, so I topped it off. Got out on track and it ran great. I did about 5 laps, and the new tires and breaks where doing awesome. Then on the 6th lap, I notice a the power going in and out on the straits, so I pulled it in. Stopped in the paddock and left it running while I opened the hood, and let it cool down. After about 15 min, I shut it down and stood around talking with my friends about the power problem. They told me that I was probably getting a little over boost and that it was probably fine. After about a half an hour I decided to fire it back up and give it another go. Upon start up I heard something that made my heart sink. I tapped on the throttle and there was the sound again. The undeniable sound of bad rod bearing. I tried to nurse it home, but seeing as I was 100 miles from home, it was futile. The knocking was constant and define when under load. I got it to the nearest town and had it towed the rest of the way home.

So what the hell happened here? The engine temp never got above normal. There was still oil in the pan after the 6 lap session. I have no CELs or other lights. I was driving it when I was on track, but I was also short shifting because I didn't want to over do it (missed on that one). Car has 156k on it, and has had all regular maintenance and been well taken care of.

Another question, what do you guys think I can get if I sell it in it's current state? Interior is in great shape, and there is only a minor scuff/scratch on the front bumper from where I kissed the corner of the garage when I fist go the car. The windshield is cracked (like every other car in Colorado).

Thanks for the input all!
    1997 Impreza Brighton
    2004 Impreza WRX
    2002 Honda 919

Drive it like you stole it!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off, if the car was over a quart low, it makes me wonder how many miles the car has been running with such a low oil level. That's going to definitely have a detrimental effect on any car, but in particular on a car with already fairly high mileage. When was the last time you checked it (miles)? Is it often low when you check it? Oil is there not only to lubricate, but also to cool. When it's missing a third or more of its fluid, both of those things are severely impacted, so you've been putting heavy strain on the engine before you ever took it to the track. It sounds like that was just the final straw in a long lead up to kablooey.

NADA puts the clean retail value at $9,150. Given the mileage, I'd say it's highly unlikely the car is really in that condition and probably merits more of a good or very good rating, which puts the value in the low $8k range. A new motor and labor is going to cost $6k, which would bring the value down to $2k using simple math. However, you can't use simple math in this situation and need to account for the lack of an engine with dollars too for the headache, which means take another grand off. That puts the value at $1,000-$1,500. Honestly if I were you I'd be parting the thing out and getting something else. It's not worth it to replace the motor in a car with so many miles and such a low value.

It might just be your lucky day. Just noticed somebody posted this:
    Motor for sale
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 11-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    NADA puts the clean retail value at $9,150. Given the mileage, I'd say it's highly unlikely the car is really in that condition and probably merits more of a good or very good rating, which puts the value in the low $8k range. A new motor and labor is going to cost $6k, which would bring the value down to $2k using simple math. However, you can't use simple math in this situation and need to account for the lack of an engine with dollars too for the headache, which means take another grand off. That puts the value at $1,000-$1,500. Honestly if I were you I'd be parting the thing out and getting something else. It's not worth it to replace the motor in a car with so many miles and such a low value.
    Yeah, with that high of mileage, parting out would be your best bet if the engine truly is toast. I seriously doubt you'd be able to sell it whole for more than $2k, and that's pushing it. The good news is that Subaru has a large market for parts, so you could probably earn most of $2k just parting out the interior. Add in the bodywork, salvageable drivetrain parts, and wheels, and you could get well of the outright sale price by parting it out, but it could take a long time, not to mention your effort.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

What engine oil where you using?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.