2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I've got about 700 miles now on my car and today for the first time really, since I've ...

2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right?

Ok so I've got about 700 miles now on my car and today for the first time really, since I've had the car I made a couple "easy" pulls from 3rd, 4th gears. First off I will state that I have not floored it once yet or beat, hammered on it. Basically just went 3rd gear and say 1/2 throttle tip in, get into the boost and let off when I hit 4k rpm.

On top of this the streets were wet so I'm thinking that might have been a cause of what I was feeling. Anyway as soon as I could feel the boost come on I could feel what feels like "a bad tune" kind of a choking sensation, not really smooth power, like I'm normally used to with the car. My initial thinking was that it could be the tires slipping?? but with this car being AWD is it possible that the car is putting down so much power/ torque when the boost comes on that the tires will break traction?

This was the first time I noticed or felt this pulsing/ lagging sensation and the first time I've driven the car in the rain so I'm hoping it is the slick-ground and possibly the traction control limiting power or interrupting and not something related to the cars tuning.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've also heard and read from other posts on other enthusiast sites that the turbo EJ25 comes with a bad factory tune and that's why everyone quickly gets an aftermarket tune. Just wondering if the bad part of the tune is what I was feeling? I think it could be because since I'm still breaking the car in I have been more rolling into the boost from to slow of a speed rather than just stabbing the throttle if that makes since.
    Current vehicles:

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Hard to say without feeling things firsthand, but ... the factory tune is not as smooth as it should be so it could relate to that. If it seemed more than that it is entirely possible that your wheels did slip on the wet road and the traction control came on to limit wheelspin. Though we are AWD, it is not that hard to break traction under acceleration under wet conditions if you really get on it.

I would suggest that once you get past your break-in mileage take the car out and push things to get a feel for where the limits are. (Obviously in a safe place!) See if you can break traction on a wet surface or dirt/gravel so you can see what the T/C feels like. Then you'll both have a better idea what you first felt and have a better idea of what your car can do and where some of its limits are.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

It was raining again today so I thought I would go out and see if I could feel the surging, pulsing in the engine when I accelerated yesterday (I had my wife in the car last night so it's hard to diag a feel or issue when wife is riding shotgun) I tried a few different things turning the traction control off, on etc..but it was smooth and drove exactly like it should so I'm lost? or perhaps it's just all in my head. I'm thinking it was either a rough road, or just so slick the wheels slipped and the traction control was limiting power or something?
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 11-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Current vehicles:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Hard to say without feeling things firsthand, but ... the factory tune is not as smooth as it should be so it could relate to that. If it seemed more than that it is entirely possible that your wheels did slip on the wet road and the traction control came on to limit wheelspin. Though we are AWD, it is not that hard to break traction under acceleration under wet conditions if you really get on it.

I would suggest that once you get past your break-in mileage take the car out and push things to get a feel for where the limits are. (Obviously in a safe place!) See if you can break traction on a wet surface or dirt/gravel so you can see what the T/C feels like. Then you'll both have a better idea what you first felt and have a better idea of what your car can do and where some of its limits are.
    Hey thanks BDR for your help, I will and can't wait to get past the break-in period. It's been painful though since this car is not my daily driver so the miles are coming on slowly. Just out of curiosity what exactly is so bad about the factory tune that every one keeps saying it's bad. I just want to know what I'm suppose to look for and feel when the "bad" part of the tune kicks in? I mean one reason I went with this car .vs the Mazda MS3 was because of the stupid boost limiter on the first 3 gears with the Mazdaspeed3 that doesn't allow full boost at WOT until you get into 4th gear.
    Current vehicles:

No way your tires should be chirping or breaking traction in that situation. I am running 70 whp over my stock dyno pulls at this time and don't chirp my tires - but I don't beat my clutch either.

I am no professional but I have owned 2 modded WRXs and the bottom line is that the engine is detuned from the factory - not "opened up" and breathing properly.

The stock tune does not allow for a smooth increase as the RPMs rise. There is a hesitation that occurs after 3000 RPMs. See below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stockvs16.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	109560
    You can search for details (closed loop/open loop/ rich v lean issues) if you need.

As for the stability control - I have broken my tires loose plenty of times without abusing the clutch, especially when accelerating from a stop and turning left or right, when the conditions are sketchy. Its easy to feel the TC, and for most circumstances it is a good thing. In 22,000 miles I've had it happen enough times. That said, 3rd to 4th gear is not a likely time for slippage. Who knows?
    - Chris

Re: 2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right?

If you were shifting before 4k and half throttle I'd chalk it up to turbo lag. What do expect. Open it up you have plenty miles on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Contrary to what others have posted, I do think it was the traction control that caused this.....cause the same thing happened to me before. The stock tires are good on dry warm or hot ground, but not great in cooler wet conditions. You most likely hydroplaned a bit on 1 or 2 wheels, causing TC to kick in and pull power when a quick pulse of the brakes on the slipping wheel(s) did not corrct the issue.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    It is probably the factory tune, I feel it a bit on hard acceleration after getting into the boost and between 3.5-3.7K. It isn't bad, but I am thinking about a tactrix tune. The only problem I have with it is the cost of the cable. I've checked the board to see if a "borrow" thread exists to no avail. One of the bike forums I'm on has a number of tool-related threads, where things like cables, immobilizer tools etc. are available.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet, by one and start a lend-out thread so that others can perform the tune at a lower cost.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

You need to be getting on it sometimes to make sure the engine is breaking in correctly, and also to make sure it's just plain working correctly.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Re: 2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You need to be getting on it sometimes to make sure the engine is breaking in correctly, and also to make sure it's just plain working correctly.
    I totally agree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

If the traction control were kicking in, then the light would be flashing on the dash.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If the traction control were kicking in, then the light would be flashing on the dash.
    FWIW - I have had the TC kick on briefly without having had the light go on.
    - Chris

The factory tune is leaner for emissions reasons.. it stays leaner into boost (why its not the greatest tune unless you drive like gramma) .. the TC is pretty sensitive on these cars. Esp if you were in the 50-55* wet condition type environment. TC does't care about the temperature but as Bruce mentioned, the tires definitely do.

That said, I dont think it was tc.. In a lower gear at that rpm maybe but not 4th/5th mid range. The middle is where the tune gets lean.. and that's where you were coming into boost. You were likely in that odd flat spot where the ecu keeps pulling timing to deal with the lack in fuel delivery and increasing boost.

A tune will take that out, but if you tune you have to consider your warranty.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.