2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX, acceleration....does this sound right? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball If the traction control were kicking in, then the light would be flashing on the dash. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If the traction control were kicking in, then the light would be flashing on the dash.
    I've done doughnuts in the sand and mud with my wife's '11 Outback 2.5i, you would be surprised how much slip was allowed before any lights kick in. In fact yesterday we drove up to the snow, I pulled over on the snowy shoulder while the left side of the car was on dry pavement. When I took off I purposely gave the Outback some gas to see how good the AWD worked with two tires dry and two on the snow. The right side spun pretty good, I could feel the traction control modulating the brakes but no dash light flashing.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    The factory tune is leaner for emissions reasons.. it stays leaner into boost (why its not the greatest tune unless you drive like gramma) .. the TC is pretty sensitive on these cars. Esp if you were in the 50-55* wet condition type environment. TC does't care about the temperature but as Bruce mentioned, the tires definitely do.

That said, I dont think it was tc.. In a lower gear at that rpm maybe but not 4th/5th mid range. The middle is where the tune gets lean.. and that's where you were coming into boost. You were likely in that odd flat spot where the ecu keeps pulling timing to deal with the lack in fuel delivery and increasing boost.

A tune will take that out, but if you tune you have to consider your warranty.
    This is what I think too and the tolerance on the pump and the injectors can vary from car to car more than we think. So the ECU can be trying to deliver a command that is not being fully carried out by the available systems.

Also, when I said 'no way' it was in response to the post about 3rd and 4th gear in a stock car with stock clutch that cannot dump that much torque to the pavement in those gears. Of course anyone can get a WRX loose in 1st and 2nd gear and even easier if you turn the wheel a bit but that is not what the OP mentioned.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdown View Post
    Also, when I said 'no way' it was in response to the post about 3rd and 4th gear in a stock car with stock clutch that cannot dump that much torque to the pavement in those gears. Of course anyone can get a WRX loose in 1st and 2nd gear and even easier if you turn the wheel a bit but that is not what the OP mentioned.
    I only refuted you on this because I have had it happen in 4th at the 50mph range. There was about 1/2 inch of water on the road and the summer tires could not cope, resulting in momentary hydroplanes....the TC would kick in and stop the wheel from spinning out of control, it would make tarmac contact again, then hydroplane again and start over. The TC light did not kick on till I downshifted to 3rd and tried to accelerate out of it. This was about 6 months after I got the car during a hard downpour still on the stock tune, or maybe at stage 1 not exactly sure. I know the OP did not state it was pouring for him, but his road conditions are different. Hell, in Memphis a slight drizzle makes the roads very slick.

The above being said, the stock tune is garbage. OP....you should get off the stock tune when you have a chance.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    I only refuted you on this because I have had it happen in 4th at the 50mph range. There was about 1/2 inch of water on the road and the summer tires could not cope, resulting in momentary hydroplanes....the TC would kick in and stop the wheel from spinning out of control, it would make tarmac contact again, then hydroplane again and start over. The TC light did not kick on till I downshifted to 3rd and tried to accelerate out of it. This was about 6 months after I got the car during a hard downpour still on the stock tune, or maybe at stage 1 not exactly sure. I know the OP did not state it was pouring for him, but his road conditions are different. Hell, in Memphis a slight drizzle makes the roads very slick.

The above being said, the stock tune is garbage. OP....you should get off the stock tune when you have a chance.

Makes sense under those circumstances. We are all on the same page anyway. The car needs to breathe better for sure.

My 2013 WRX does something similar. I think its related to the tune/emissions control systems. I have noticed its a bit jerky when in open loop and not fully warmed up. I usually let the temp gauge get to the middle line at full operating temp. Even then it takes a little while for the motor to feel like its completely warmed up. I have also noticed a slight lag sometimes in 3rd gear at around 5k RPM sometimes when doing a nice pull especially down a slight hill or on flat road. I think its just emissions programming and the ECU trying to compensate by reducing power slightly. Or it could be a little timing retard because of some knocking at higher RPM. I use 91 octane but I think even the non-STI WRX's would benefit from 93 octane but it's nowhere to be found in my area. Either way I think it's normal for this car since mine does it too. As far as the traction control I have broken loose once on a hard pull from 1st to second. The light blinked at me a couple of times so it is possible. A custom tune would probably help but I would hate to void my warranty. Besides it runs great and 265 HP is plenty of power for me.
    Last edited by UAC-2145; 09-09-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12