Got the car back from Subaru... had A LOT of concerns/issues!

This is a discussion on Got the car back from Subaru... had A LOT of concerns/issues! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wanted to let you guys know what's up since I've made several posts on different issues on my car. ...

I wanted to let you guys know what's up since I've made several posts on different issues on my car. Hopefully this can be helpful to someone else. Maybe others can shine some light into this as well...

I had concerns on loud turbo (whistle) sounds when flooring it on 5th gear, above 3200 rpm on or about 80mph.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VS...s&feature=plcp
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxEv...o&feature=plcp

I had issues on creaking noises when shifting gears and gassing it quickly. Sound more prominent when it's cold.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qc5...I&feature=plcp

I also was getting annoyed at the rattling A-pilar.

And, I thought I had issues with the throwout bearing. When in neutral and the clutch is disengaged, the engine is a bit louder VS. when the clutch is engaged, engine sounds quieter. It sounds like a very faint rattling sound when clutch is disengaged and in neutral.

Regarding the Turbo sound... Apparently it's normal. They tried to duplicate but they couldn't bc they can only get as far as 75mph. I showed them the video. They said at normal driving and at normal highway speeds up to 75mph all sounds fine and all is working well. Their explanation is, when you floor the car and it reaches a higher RPM at higher speeds, you are putting the turbo to work; more so than a regular conservative drive. Sounded like a valid explanation. Do you guys have any objection to that?... They did look at the hosings/ducts, they said they are all intact. They tried to tighten them some more but they were already tight.

The squeeky shifter noise... "FOUND SHIFTER MOUNT LOOSE CAUSING NOISE. REMOVE CENTER EXHAUST PIPE, REMOVE HEAT SHIELD, REMOVE HANGER BRAKET FROM TRANS. REMOVE PROPELLER SHAFT TIGHTEN BOLTS TO GEAR SHIFT / STAY TO TRANS. FROM CHASIS BUSHING SUPP. ROAD TEST TO VERIFY REPAIR." Arghhh!!! noise still there and it was louder! However, the sound seems to get lower and lower when car gets warmer and driven a good period of time. Maybe bc it's getting really cold now that more noise will appear? I guess that is another horrible noise to be added to the notorious sounds of the WRX. In a way I can deal with it as long as engine & tranny is good.

The A-pillars are no longer rattling! I'm excited over that... That was this morning. It came back at night. I'll have do it myself.

Throw out bearing... well they couldn't duplicate what I was talking about. They said if it was the throw out bearing, you would here something else. I tried showing them but they were saying that the engine noise of the WRX are traditionally loud. Hearing more engine noise when clutch is disengaged is normal. What they were hearing was normal.

They said engine wise is good. Tranny and bearing is good. I just find it hard to believe that a car especially new can make so much noise!

Anyways, if you guys think other wise let me know. Thanks again for all your responses and help. Hope this may help someone.
    Last edited by CaQuin; 11-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Btw... My car is a 2012 WRX, hatch. It was purchased new in April. It now has 15K+ miles. Car is stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    None of those sounds in the vids sound normal to me (2011 WRX hatch, so same car). Have any of them gotten better since Subaru worked on it?

If you can, see if you can get someone to ride along with you to work the camera so that you might be able to get better audio quality.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Only the A-Pillar. Sound was gone but this evening it came back.

Everything else is the same. I've noticed that the creaking noise by the shifter goes away or atleast gets quieter when the car gets warm and I've driven a bit.

The whistle gets loud and appears when I literally floor the gas pedal @3200rmp on 5th gear. I'm now at 80mph. When I release the gas pedal, whistle goes away. Apparently the turbo is working harder at that point. I hope that doesn't ruin the car. I barely go that speed and barley floor it.
    Last edited by CaQuin; 11-15-2012 at 06:47 PM.

The turbo sounds may be normal, not sure since I don't have the same car nor have I ever driven in a regular WRX.

The stick sounds are obviously not normal, but as to what could be causing them, it's too hard to say based on that short video. Can you feel anything in the shifter that goes along with the sounds? Do the sounds change at all if you hold the stick after shifting instead of letting it go, or if you push on it hard into the gear it's in, sideways, etc?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The turbo sounds may be normal, not sure since I don't have the same car nor have I ever driven in a regular WRX.

The stick sounds are obviously not normal, but as to what could be causing them, it's too hard to say based on that short video. Can you feel anything in the shifter that goes along with the sounds? Do the sounds change at all if you hold the stick after shifting instead of letting it go, or if you push on it hard into the gear it's in, sideways, etc?
    I hope the sounds are normal for the turbo.

Sound does not change at all when stick is held or not held, pushed on it hard, etc; when on gear. the tech said its coming from under the extended arm rest. It was all lubed up. It started when it was getting cold in the northeast. I might have to wait till when it gets warm again if the temp outside has any bearing in it.

I also have a commute that is harsh. I travel from NY to NJ everyday for work. I avg 100 miles a day on crap roads 5 days a week. I'm sure that would have contributed to all this madness. I don't abuse the car but I'm sure it's been abused by the roads here.