2011 STi won't give accurate oil read-out. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 STi won't give accurate oil read-out. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mike193 I'm new to dealing with the vehicle's oil situation myself, so if you would continue to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I'm new to dealing with the vehicle's oil situation myself, so if you would continue to have patience while helping me I'd sure appreciate it!

Okay so far, I'm nervous and unsure on what to do. I don't know where to get a UOA, or even what it consists of.

I need oil bad so my plan rite now is to borrow my ma's car, go over to advanced autoparts, get some rotella t6, then go to subaru grab an oil filter, then a crush washer. What I'm wondering, is do I need to use a subaru oil filter? are other companies better filters?
    Since your car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual for oil viscosity, specification, and change interval requirements. You do not need to use Subaru filters. However, keep any and all dated receipts for future warranty use.

Look at Blackstone Labs for UOA info. However, since the car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual anyway as stated above.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

car is no longer under warantee. I have a retune and an exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    How is a 2011 no longer under warrenty?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

You are still under warranty until 60k miles (drivetrain at least). You MAY however, be denied a warranty claim if it is deemed that your aftermarket parts caused whatever issue were to come up. Very big difference here...

As for oil, use what you've been using. I do not believe however, that Subaru supports Royal Purple. Don't use that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Since your car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual for oil viscosity, specification, and change interval requirements. You do not need to use Subaru filters. However, keep any and all dated receipts for future warranty use.

Look at Blackstone Labs for UOA info. However, since the car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual anyway as stated above.
    Spiros has some good advice here. I use Blackstone for my UOAs and I like them a lot. They give you a nice write up to either instill fear in you or make you feel a bit better about yourself - much like the people that write the sayings in fortune cookies. Basically you take a small sample when you change your oil, send it to them along with $20-25 and they will tell ya how your oil is doing after some lab tests.

Your car certainly still is under warranty. As mentioned, the manufacturer may not honor a service request due to modifications or the time of day. That being said, not following their oil advice is always a good place to point a finger for any issues down the line.

I picked up a 6 pack of subaru oil filters (crush rings included) off of genuinesubaruparts or something along those lines. I don't use the crush rings anymore, however, as I use a furmoto oil valve to make life a bit easier (flexible tubing is fantastic stuff when it comes to cleanliness).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Damn, that furmoto oil valve is a great idea. I'm gunna order one tomorrow!

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn, that furmoto oil valve is a great idea. I'm gunna order one tomorrow!

I have one for sale if you want it.

As for oil, I recommend Motul. It's 100% synthtic. Yes, it's pricey.
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    I have one for sale if you want it.

As for oil, I recommend Motul. It's 100% synthtic. Yes, it's pricey.
    How much do they cost? I couldn't even find one for sale brand new, and from what I know of you, you seem like a good guy, I'd most likely be interested.

And where do i get myself some Motul?

And I just hit 30k miles, is it time for tranny and diff fluid change?

If your using the "German Castrol" you won't find a better over the shelf oil that can be had with a filter for 30 bucks on sale at Auto Zone or Advance Auto. That's what I've been using since 1000 miles and have no complaints. I have also not seen a single bad uoa with GC.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

If i may ask. What happened to your first engine??
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

I Support ClubWRX
    I always check both sides and go by whichever is lower (and do it twice). If you think about it, when the dipstick is submerged in oil it is possible for it to creep up one side or the other, but it wouldn't make sense if an area that was submerged came out without oil on it.

As far which brand to use, Rotella T6 used to get really good results due to its high zinc content. However the T6 you buy now days has been reformulated to a low zinc formula, presumably to preserve catalytic converters. In fact, basically all common store bought oil has gone to low zinc formulations now.. so you're kind of SOL unless you're wanting to spend money on a high dollar oil.

For what it's worth, I still use T6, just with a zinc additive.

I Support ClubWRX

How much do they cost? I couldn't even find one for sale brand new, and from what I know of you, you seem like a good guy, I'd most likely be interested.

And where do i get myself some Motul?

And I just hit 30k miles, is it time for tranny and diff fluid change?
    Thanks, man. PM me if you want it. 20 bucks. You can order Motul online.

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12