Is this a normal TURBO sound? Video/Sound

This is a discussion on Is this a normal TURBO sound? Video/Sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an appointment to see Subaru about several issues regarding my STOCK 12 WRX hatch w/ almost 15K miles ...

I have an appointment to see Subaru about several issues regarding my STOCK 12 WRX hatch w/ almost 15K miles this Wednesday. Issues with a possible throw out bearing (faint rattling noise when clutch disengaged on neutral), sounds of a squilling belt when clutch engaged on neutral and when changing gears (faint sound, only when the car is cold - goes away when warm), noisy shifter or trunk (creaking/squeeky sounds), & rattling A-pillar.

I noticed today that my turbo is louder than usual. I drive a lot of city driving were I don't get to use the turbo. When I drive on the highway, I hardly go over 70mph. Today however, I was coming home from a weekend outing and had the chance to actually drive the car. I was conservative, not exceeding 80/85mph and for only short moments. I didn't want to be wreckless and irresponsible.

Anyways, on 5th gear, the whistle is loud when flooring/gassing it above 3200rpm. The whistle is only loud on 5th gear. I tried to see if I can hear the whistle as loud on other gears over 3200rpm, but nothing comparable. Other gears have a quieter whistle sound. Below are two videos. Should I be concerned and bring it up to the dealer or is this NORMAL and I'm being paranoid? I really don't want the dealer to push the car if they don't have to.

1st vid of the odo. Sorry for the quality, taken with iPhone. Notice 0:03, 0:09, & 0:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VS...s&feature=plcp

2nd vid is on the iPhone on the iPhone holder, just to hear the sound clearer. Notice 0:04 & 0:10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxEv...o&feature=plcp

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Doesnt sound normal.... But im not too sure, maybe one of the other more expirienced members will chime in.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i agree it doesnt sound normal, almost sounds like a leak of some sort
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    I have an appointment to see Subaru about several issues regarding my STOCK 12 WRX hatch w/ almost 15K miles this Wednesday. Issues with a possible throw out bearing (faint rattling noise when clutch disengaged on neutral), sounds of a squilling belt when clutch engaged on neutral and when changing gears (faint sound, only when the car is cold - goes away when warm), noisy shifter or trunk (creaking/squeeky sounds), & rattling A-pillar.

I noticed today that my turbo is louder than usual. I drive a lot of city driving were I don't get to use the turbo. When I drive on the highway, I hardly go over 70mph. Today however, I was coming home from a weekend outing and had the chance to actually drive the car. I was conservative, not exceeding 80/85mph and for only short moments. I didn't want to be wreckless and irresponsible.

Anyways, on 5th gear, the whistle is loud when flooring/gassing it above 3200rpm. The whistle is only loud on 5th gear. I tried to see if I can hear the whistle as loud on other gears over 3200rpm, but nothing comparable. Other gears have a quieter whistle sound. Below are two videos. Should I be concerned and bring it up to the dealer or is this NORMAL and I'm being paranoid? I really don't want the dealer to push the car if they don't have to.

1st vid of the odo. Sorry for the quality, taken with iPhone. Notice 0:03, 0:09, & 0:15.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2VS...s&feature=plcp

2nd vid is on the iPhone on the iPhone holder, just to hear the sound clearer. Notice 0:04 & 0:10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxEv...o&feature=plcp

Thanks in advance!
    Check your hose from the TMIC into the throttle body, then inspect the turbo and check to see if there are any cracks.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Had the same noise,2012 sedan wrx. 10,000 miles. duct from TMIC came loose going to intake. Mine got worse in a couple days after first hearing it. 1 hour problem fixed at Subaru.

OK thanks guys... I'll bring it up to the dealer this Wednesday.

It happened to me haha, except my car starting back firing when coming off the throttle and would bog down in boost lol
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ

Mine did the throw out bearing also, dealership wouldn't so anything because they couldn't replicate it.

The A pillar is normal. There's a tsb out for it. Take it off, and put tape or teflon over the clips to fix

Oh, and the throwout bearring isn't supposed to be normal but i wouold say at least 80 percent of this forums population has the same problem...for our gen wrx

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Oh, and the throwout bearring isn't supposed to be normal but i wouold say at least 80 percent of this forums population has the same problem...for our gen wrx
    I would caution against making up statistics.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I would caution against making up statistics.
    +1 : Don't trust any statistics you didn't make up yourself...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

So I got my car back today and I wanted to let you guys know what's up. Maybe you can shine some light into this as well...

Regarding the Turbo sound... Apparently it's normal. They said at normal driving and at normal highway speeds up to 75mph all sounds fine and all is working well. Their explanation is, when you floor the car and it reaches that high of an RPM, you are putting the turbo to work; more so than a regular conservative drive. Sounded like a valid explanation. Do you guys have any objection to that?... They did look at the hosings/ducts, they said they are all intact. They tried to tighten them some more but they were already tight.

The A-pillars are no longer rattling! I'm excited over that.

Throw out bearing... well they couldn't duplicate what I was talking about. They said if it was the throw out bearing, you would here something else. I tried showing them but they were saying that the engine noise of the WRX are traditionally loud. Hearing more engine noise when clutch is disengaged is normal. What they were hearing was normal.

The squeeky shifter noise... "FOUND SHIFTER MOUNT LOOSE CAUSING NOISE. REMOVE CENTER EXHAUST PIPE, REMOVE HEAT SHIELD, REMOVE HANGER BRAKET FROM TRANS. REMOVE PROPELLER SHAFT TIGHTEN BOLTS TO GEAR SHIFT / STAY TO TRANS. FROM CHASIS BUSHING SUPP. ROAD TEST TO VERIFY REPAIR." Arghhh!!! noise still there and it was louder! However, the sound seems to get lower and lower when car gets warmer and driven a good period of time. Maybe bc it's getting really cold now that more noise will appear? I guess that is another horrible noise to be added to the notorious sounds of the WRX. In a way I can deal with it as long as engine & tranny is good.
    MY12 Subaru WRX - Horrible sound! - YouTube

They said car engine wise is good. Tranny and bearing is good. I just find it hard to believe that a car especially new can make so much noise!

Anyways, if you guys think other wise let me know. Thanks again for all your responses and help.

Last edited by CaQuin; 11-27-2012 at 05:43 AM.

hes got a %50 chance of being right.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454