Painfully slow WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Painfully slow WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving home from work last Thursday, and I went to accelerate around a turning driver, and the car ...

Painfully slow WRX

I was driving home from work last Thursday, and I went to accelerate around a turning driver, and the car stumbled, then picked up. I thought that was strange, but kept on going. It seemed fine for a while. I was driving in some traffic, so I didn't have the opportunity or need for any real acceleration, but it seemed to be driving normally. A bit later I went to go up a hill and it felt dead. No real power at all. It just got worse from there. By the time I got home it was feeling bad even on slight throttle. I called Subaru, and got it towed to a dealer, luckily I'm still under warranty. The next morning the dealer started it to move it, it stalled, and they couldn't get it restarted. Not sounding good at all! They were busy, and didn't get to look at it for a couple of days. They had given me a loaner, so it wasn't a big deal. When they finally got to it, it started and ran fine, no issues at all. They drove it for a while, and finally it started to act up again. It never threw a code this entire time.

They have decided that it has a bad #3 injector, and have ordered one. I should get it back sometime this week. This is a completely stock 2011 WRX hatch, my first Subaru. I've been driving Honda's for the last 17 years, and I'm wondering now if I should have switched.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Painfully slow WRX

Sucks to hear you're questioning the decision. Hopefully they can get that squared away for you. If you have snow this winter I doubt you'll question it.

I'm not really questioning it, I love this car. But in 17 years of driving a variety of Hondas, I've never been stranded with a non-running car. This truly sucks, and I want me car back. I'm driving a Forrester they gave me, and it's not quite the same.

Painfully slow WRX

Well, I hope they get it situated for you. I know when mines down for a day, even if I'm upgrading it, I'm dreading it.

I Support ClubWRX
    A failed injector is no reason to second guess your purchase.....it is a single part. This part is not prone to failure really, it just happens you got one that died. It happens....even to high end exotics. If issues become a recurring theme, then there is cause for concern.....but only if you are having issues all the time and the dealer is not willing to correct them.

Best of luck to you, and a quick return of your ride!
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I thought I would chime in since i have been following a lot about WRX. I do not understand the denial from many members that Subaru had a some issues with QC when it comes to WRX and STI. I read Clubwrx and Nasioc on daily basis and I read at least one post with a problem with newer WRX or STI (11-12). WRX clutch failures, Clutch vibrations and improper wear are some issues. Strut failure is another. Loose TMIC hoses are commonly heard. Transmission failures, Hard to get in to 5th gear (5th gear synchro failure), hard to get in to 1st gear, very notchy gear box, vanishing coolant are some common issues I read about on regular basis. I do not even mention the rattles...

But why doesn't many members acknowledge these are issues...? This is not a Audi or BMW, where electrical gremlins and other issues are pretty much accepted...

I have a TSX fro last 6 years and I have been in TEX forums and I hardly hear a strut failure at 25k or transmission failure. I had a Mitsubishi Galant and really beat it an it survived well over 120k..(sold it no issues)

I always hear "we bought an econobox with high performance"...Sure that is why I live with bad interior, low quality stuff and ready to spend money on upgraded parts. Not quality control of things. specially on mechanical parts.

Common argument I will hear is "you should have done your research before buying". Well, expected to have a rattling interior, not a perfect tranny, but this is not acceptable. Plus users should bring these up and openly talk and complain to let car companies know...Just because you have a warranty does not mean, it is OK to brake down...(sounds like Audi and VW..)

I'm sure I get flamed but, I request to open your minds....how can we be loyal customers to Subaru if they do not give a reliable product...?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mru77 View Post
    I thought I would chime in since i have been following a lot about WRX. I do not understand the denial from many members that Subaru had a some issues with QC when it comes to WRX and STI. I read Clubwrx and Nasioc on daily basis and I read at least one post with a problem with newer WRX or STI (11-12). WRX clutch failures, Clutch vibrations and improper wear are some issues. Strut failure is another. Loose TMIC hoses are commonly heard. Transmission failures, Hard to get in to 5th gear (5th gear synchro failure), hard to get in to 1st gear, very notchy gear box, vanishing coolant are some common issues I read about on regular basis. I do not even mention the rattles...

But why doesn't many members acknowledge these are issues...? This is not a Audi or BMW, where electrical gremlins and other issues are pretty much accepted...

I have a TSX fro last 6 years and I have been in TEX forums and I hardly hear a strut failure at 25k or transmission failure. I had a Mitsubishi Galant and really beat it an it survived well over 120k..(sold it no issues)

I always hear "we bought an econobox with high performance"...Sure that is why I live with bad interior, low quality stuff and ready to spend money on upgraded parts. Not quality control of things. specially on mechanical parts.

Common argument I will hear is "you should have done your research before buying". Well, expected to have a rattling interior, not a perfect tranny, but this is not acceptable. Plus users should bring these up and openly talk and complain to let car companies know...Just because you have a warranty does not mean, it is OK to brake down...(sounds like Audi and VW..)

I'm sure I get flamed but, I request to open your minds....how can we be loyal customers to Subaru if they do not give a reliable product...?
    You can't judge a car's reliability by what you see on the forums. Of course you're going to see a lot of problem threads on here. Nobody starts a thread to say, "Today my car ran with no issues. I drove to work and back and absolutely nothing unusual happened."

I admit that Subarus have their share of issues, but for what it's worth, my bugeye hasn't had a single issue (mechanical or electrical) in it's last 97,000 miles of life, other than a worn-out clutch and other normal wear items like brake pads and shocks.

If you look at data sets from third parties on automotive reliability, Subarus rate very favorably. Of course, Hondas are probably the benchmark of reliability for 4cyl FWD cars.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Also keep in mind these are enthusiast cars that are driven as such.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

Sure nobody starts a thread about how good the car been but you will have to consider when you see people are having the same issue, there is something wrong....As I mentioned I had other brands but I did not see many issues in such short time...I did not see this much similar issues been mentioned in different forums...Forums may not be the place to decide the cars reliability but it give you a reasonable idea of what is going on..These are real people with actual experience, not a computer based poll...

I do understand this is enthusiast car but what is the point if you cannot drive it like an enthusiast car?
    Or subaru is building a car that cannot handle itself? Give 265 hp and AWD, sporty seats and suspension, good styling but don't drive hard...?

Sure nobody starts a thread about how good the car been but you will have to consider when you see people are having the same issue, there is something wrong....As I mentioned I had other brands but I did not see many issues in such short time...I did not see this much similar issues been mentioned in different forums...Forums may not be the place to decide the cars reliability but it give you a reasonable idea of what is going on..These are real people with actual experience, not a computer based poll...

I do understand this is enthusiast car but what is the point if you cannot drive it like an enthusiast car?
    Or subaru is building a car that cannot handle itself? Give 265 hp and AWD, sporty seats and suspension, good styling but don't drive hard...?
    You may just be trying to play devil's advocate, but it sure comes off like you are trying to troll. I don't disagree that it isn't a bad thing to turn a critical eye to the cars, but your complaint that there's nothing but a bunch of fan boys here...well, I consider it exaggerated, (Drews HATES subarus!) and not to mention that's something you're going to run into on any enthusiast forum.

There are lots of factors that go into determining whether one particular car is "reliable," let along one manufacturer versus another. Citing forum trends is hardly a good measure one way or the other. Unless an analysis is done using scientific method, well, I will be turning a skeptical eye to any claims made. A good study does it's best to control variables. Using forum anecdotes with no formal analysis does anything but. It surely can spark opinion, but the moment you start claiming facts based on the posts you may or may not see on any given forum and the trends that may or may not statistically exist...that's when I check out.

You mentioned that "these are real people with actual experience, not a computer based poll." The problem with that is that we have no control over who those people are, the sample. Do we have any background on how they care for and drive their cars, beyond what they claim on an internet forum? Said forum, are there certain types of people who are drawn to them, and could any differences between forum and non-forum people be significant? How many owners does the forum population represent? How many people register and post on a forum specifically because they are having a problem, and how does the type of car the forum represent impact whether people are more or less likely to post on an internet forum?

That's just a few questions off the top of my head.

Again, I have no problem with discussion about these cars, but I think we should all be careful about stating "facts" based on anecdotal, forum-based, "evidence."
    Last edited by Calvinball; 11-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I hate to feed the troll but I did some research and from what I found you are wrong in your assumptions.

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=Subaru

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=Honda

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=Ford

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=Toyota

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=BMW

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=Audi

http://www.safercar.gov/scsearch?q=GM

Did my best to go from least recalls to the most. Now GM has a greater amount of data points in this set so that hurts them. The problem with Subaru getting a bad rep is that too many kids buy one used and try to modify it. They normally don't do a good job and then run to the internet complaining how Subaru sucks. Turbocharged cars are much easier to mess up.

My Subaru WRX has given me two major problems in the past ten years. One was the cold weather fuel leak and the other one was the stock radiator cracked.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Injectors are pretty easy thing to deal with. Are you the first owner?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Go into any Subaru dealership. They will most likely have a poster that something along the lines of "90% of Subarus bought 10 years ago are still on the road today." I drive an 86 Brat for my daily and the only issue I'm having with it, besides rust, is that my carb needs to be rebuilt. Not bad for a car that is just as old as I am. Subarus are GREAT cars in stock form. But your two "references" are sites that are built for enthusiasts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unfortunately, most guys here can't keep their hands off their car. I think you need to double check your facts and come back when you have solid evidence against Subaru's reliability. Get a new wife.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Something you don't seem to realize is that for every one person who posts about having a problem, there are hundreds who are perfectly content and not having issues at all. There is absolutely nothing surprising about the amount of people you see having issues with their vehicles. It happens with every single model in every single year, with every single make, no exception. I've been around long enough to have seen MOST model years of WRX and not one year has gone by without some dissatisfied customers, it is a very natural thing to the auto market. Subaru does their best to address the issues, and as far as I'm concerned they have done a bang up job in most cases.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast