P0129 scare
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on P0129 scare within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got the P0129 atmos. pressure sensor range/perf DTC yesterday, finally got around to looking it up. The service manual indicates ...

I Support ClubWRX

P0129 scare

Got the P0129 atmos. pressure sensor range/perf DTC yesterday, finally got around to looking it up.

The service manual indicates two consecutive 0129 codes replace the ECM to fix.

An ECU reset made it go away. Whew!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Second CEL today. ECU failing? Donkey?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

[QUOTE=Answer
    Hi Yusef,
    The 0129 means that the voltage shown on the intake manifold's absolute pressure sensor is too low. This might be due either to a problem with the 5v supply wire that operates the sensor or the signal wire which are yellow/pink and violet/brown, respectively, or the sensor itself could have failed. Let me know if you want details as to checking it out with a volt-ohm meter. It may also be the case that one of the vacuum hoses has come loose that is attached to the intake manifold. The symptoms you describe are consistent with this sensor or the intake's vacuum itself being compromised. It should not be a major repair cost problem.
    The 016A means that the engine is not responding to your request for power, but it is suggested that any problems with the manifold absolute sensor be corrected first as that may be the cause of this code. If you ask a follow-up question tell me the year and engine size (L). I can send you 6 pages about the measurements to make as an attachment to an email, but I need to know your email address. So if you want those let me know your email address but use the 'private' option in the follow-up question choices.
    Roland[/QUOTE]
    Above is from a web site "allexperts" on a Crysler 300. Seems it's possibly a vacuum issue, sensor issue or even wiring issue. Hold off replacing the ECU for now...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the reference, but the 2004 SOA service manual has this entry in it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P0129.gif  
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I read the table differently. You state it says that after two errors, replace the ECU; however I read it as stating that the CEL will come on after two error cycles, and it only states to replace the ECU if there is another code accompanying the PO129. If there is no other code it is unclear to me what to do.

Have you checked the basic electric connections to the ECU and battery meanwhile?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree the manual entry is not exactly clear. No checks of electric connections to the ECU and battery yet. Battery is 2 months old.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd calmly wait for Donkey because I find it unlikely an 8 year old car will go through not one but two ECUs.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

P0129 scare

Did you try a hard reset? The ECU isn't failing per-say. Just the atmospheric sensor inside it is. It's basically a MAP sensor. I'm not really sure how important that sensor is on a modded WRX. It is mainly used for making small atmospheric compensations to the boost tables.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Hard reset? Disconnect battery for 10+ minutes?
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Hard reset? Disconnect battery for 10+ minutes?
    Yup. I generally just disconnect the neg cable and hold the brake pedal down for about a minute,then your good to go.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yup. I generally just disconnect the neg cable and hold the brake pedal down for about a minute,then your good to go.
    Yep, did that over the weekend. Then yesterday's CEL. Was OK today.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd calmly wait for Donkey because I find it unlikely an 8 year old car will go through not one but two ECUs.
    The original ECU was killed by an v.1 AccessPORT failure during uninstall. I'm no where near panic mode, just looking for the best options at this time. If I have to track down another ECU, so be it.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    And the main harness to the ECU is secure also?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    And the main harness to the ECU is secure also?
    I'll check, but I know of no reason it should not be. Was OK today. :shrugs:
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    More strangeness ...

Now a CEL comes on, but am unable to read anything from the OBDII port. A hard reset makes the CEL go bye-bye and allows reading of the ECU again. This has happened twice.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    That is odd. I've not heard or seen that before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.