Squeaking and slight knocking noise around engine??

This is a discussion on Squeaking and slight knocking noise around engine?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased my first wrx around 3 weeks ago. I am still getting to know the car and find out ...

I purchased my first wrx around 3 weeks ago. I am still getting to know the car and find out whats normal and what isn't. It as a 2010 hatchback with 55,000 miles, the only mods that I can see are SPT catback and boost gauge. Now with the problem description/story.

Shortly after I bought the car ( maybe a week) I pushed in the clutch and could hear something squeaking and was assuming a throwout bearing. But it wasn't consistent only did it here and there I THINK on cold start up.. Today after my drive home from work I left it running stuck my head under the rocker panel (e-brake on and on flat ground) and when I would push on the gas and let off I could hear a squeaking and seemed to be a slight tap/knock with it. The squeak sounded to me like a throwout bearing and the tap you really had to listen for. It would make the noise most when decreasing in rpms.

I'm hoping someone can give me better news than what I think it is and I have 100 miles to go until the 1,000 miles or 1 month dealership warranty is up so its parked until I can show up there with a little bit of knowledge. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would also like to add that the time I listened and heard it I was not disengaging the clutch.

I Support ClubWRX

Since the noise is audible when the clutch is disengaged I would not suspect a throw out bearing unless it was truly shot.

Belts?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't believe so.. Can't hear it when standing infront of the car with the hood open. I will try to post a video soon

our throwout bearrings make those noises from time to time, most of the time on cold starts. It's been cold here the past two days other then today..and today is the first time i heard mine again in weeks. Not supposed to be a big issue.

is the knocking in between shifting? if so it could be because of the transmission vibration or engine vibration causing your exhaust to knock. Again happened to me earlier today. that's what those springs bolts are for

I took my car to the dealer and they said they did diagnose it with the throwout bearing. Mine is getting BAD, bad enough to where I'm cruising through town at 25 and I can hear it the whole time. And the slight knocking might have been me listening for to long and hearing noises that weren't there.. because I don't hear it anymore lol

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Now I had a bad throwout bearing. It didn't make any noise when the clutch was all the way out.. but as I would depress the clutch it would make a really loud metal on metal grinding/scraping noise from outside the car and I could feel the grind through the pedal. When I pulled it apart the inner portion of the bearing was jammed in there all cockeyed and the metal was eaten up all around it. There were chunks of metal falling off if it..

Re: Squeaking and slight knocking noise around engine??

Have them take a look at the clutch while they're in there. And change it if necessary too.

Posted from a fone.

Mainframe that sounds like one h*** of a mess. i've read alot about throwout bearings going out of these, most symptoms like yours but very rarely like mine when the clutch is not pressed in..

UEDan-already got one on order just so i get it back faster and i'm getting my old one just incase it's worth saving