outside temp sensor
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on outside temp sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can someone tell me where the outside temp sensor is located? ('12 wrx) I don't think my outside temp is ...

I Support ClubWRX

outside temp sensor

Can someone tell me where the outside temp sensor is located? ('12 wrx) I don't think my outside temp is accurate so I'm curious if maybe its dirty or something. Also what does it mean when the temp display on the dash blinks 3 times and then "updates".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ump

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe it is on the top of the dash. A little round plastic piece right in front of the clock/temp display near the windshield. At least that is what the manual tells me where it is on the Forester.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX

outside temp sensor

I looked through my manual also but couldn't find the answer. So if that's the sensor it must calculate (or make an educated guess) the temp outside?

i think blinks when its below 37 degrees i think? to warn you that road conditions may be icy

I Support ClubWRX

outside temp sensor

Good thinking, that didn't occur to me. I'm pretty sure it was 37 degrees too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes,it does blink when it goes below 37 degrees. That happened today just some time ago. I had not noticed this before.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Just to clarify, it blinks only at 37 degrees and not any time it's below that temp. The purpose is to warn you that even though the air temp is above freezing, it's entirely possible the ground temp is below freezing so roads may be icy. So if you start the car and it's exactly 37 it'll blink, or if you're driving and it goes from 38 to 37. I'm trying to remember if it blinks when it goes from 36 to 37, but I can't remember...

I thought the temp sensor was located in one of the holes in the front bumper? Maybe it's different on the '11 and/or the STI? Or maybe I'm thinking of my Porsche and/or my '04 STi? I recall a small black item about the size of a AAA battery with a single wire running to it that was clipped to the edge of one of the air intake holes...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I am basing the location of the outside temp sensor off of reading the manual for my 2012 Forester XT for the first time the other day. I assume it is the same for the WRX. But I have to check. Yes, it did blink today when it went for 38 to 37. Don't know if the same happens when it goes from 36 to 37.

I was also driving my sister's VW CC & there was an audio warning over the audio system telling me that temp had dipped below 40 degrees.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I am basing the location of the outside temp sensor off of reading the manual for my 2012 Forester XT for the first time the other day.

Are you sure it was referring to the outside temp sensor and not the cabin temp sensor for the climate control system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Are you sure it was referring to the outside temp sensor and not the cabin temp sensor for the climate control system?
    No, the inside temp sensor is located on the dash near the right side of the steering wheel at the 4 o'clock mark.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.