Help: strange sound... Video
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help: strange sound... Video within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's going on! Looking to see if someone can help me out here. My car has been making strange sounds ...

What's going on! Looking to see if someone can help me out here. My car has been making strange sounds when pressing the gas when RPM is above 2K. The sound seems to be more apparent when switching gears and pressing on the gas harder than normal. I'm not abusing the car. The sound also seems to appear when you are on gear, let go of the gas and quickly press on it. In other words the car is jerked slightly.

The sound is like a case of water bottles moving around in a tight packaging. More like creaking sounds. It seems like it is coming from the trunk and at times it sounds like it is coming from the shifter and the extended arm rest. I cant seem to pin point exactly where it is coming from. Any one have the same issue? Normal of a WRX sound?

Below I have attached a video. It's not coming from the trunk lid as I removed it trying to figure out the source. I have placed cloths on top of the spare tire thinking that the foam pieces were rubbing on the trunk cover.

I have a 2012 Subaru WRX wagon/hatch with now 14,178 miles. I am the original owner. I baby this car. Car is stock with exception of short throw shifter from dealer. Car was purchased new.

0:06, 0:09, 0:16 is when you hear the sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qc5BADmfQI&sns=em

Sorry for the quality, it's more for the sounds.

I don't want to bring it in the dealer if it is something I can fix and if it is an easy fix. It a few hours from the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like squeaking, maybe the seat or something. my car makes a similar sound but its a panel or something squeaking so i ignore it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

As long a its not engine or tranny related I can learn to ignore the sound. Thank you for your response

I Support ClubWRX
    It doesnt sound like it but maybe some other people will chime in to help make a solid answer. But yeah from what i hear its just a seat squeaking, it happens when it gets cold.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    If you leave your hand on the shifter lever, can you feel vibrations in the shifter lever when the sound hits?

Just take it to the dealer, still in warranty?
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

It's really impossible to tell anything from the video. Diagnosing sounds through videos on the internet is a pretty useless adventure.

Just take it to the dealer since it's under warranty and let them figure it out! These late model cars are well known for having a good amount of squeaks and rattles, so it could just be something totally harmless (but annoying). Either way, let the dealer figure it out and fix it! They are paid by Subaru to fix noises even if they're not damaging to the car in any way.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    If you leave your hand on the shifter lever, can you feel vibrations in the shifter lever when the sound hits?

Just take it to the dealer, still in warranty?
    No additional vibrations. Everything in that departments feels smooth and new.

On my next oil change i might have to bring it to the dealer and bring it up. It just stinks bc it's such a nuisance being it's so far.

Correction... I think it def is coming from the shifter... The stick shakes the same time the sound comes in.

I would definitely take that sucker in. Seems to be pretty clearly linked to the transmission...personally I wouldn't want to mess around with it on a car still under warranty. You don't have another Subaru dealership that is closer to you?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 to letting Subaru figure it out. My guess: transfer case bearings.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.