2004 WRX issues
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 1. Hi Guys. I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys on what next steps to ...

2004 WRX issues

1. Hi Guys.

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys on what next steps to take.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the essay, but have to make sure I cover everything.

I own a 2004 WRX which had a few modifications to it including NOS. I had a bit of an accident with the car just over a year ago where I came around a corner a bit to fast and forgot that the NOS switch was activated, so as I came around the corner the NOS activated and I spun the car into a wall. Plus point was that I did not hit the wall too hard as I had some run off area to try and save the spin.

Now after buying another WRX to fix mine with, I repaired the left front side of the car, redid the heads as when I hit the wall the timing belt came off and bent valves. The chassis legs have been straitened along with new engine covers and cam pullies.

Eventually I had everything ready to start the car, but no luck. The car would swing, but would not fire. After a long search on sited, I found out that I mixed us coil 2 and 4. After fixing that I tried again. The car fired, but sounded as if the car is running on only 2 cylinders. I took out all the spark plugs to make sure that all 4 has spark to them and I can confirm that. I used a diagnostic tool to call up all errors and found the following:

P1560 - Back - Up voltage Circuit Malfunction
    P0113 - Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high
    P0102 - Mass or volume air flow A circuit low
    P0335 - Crankshaft position sensor A circuit.

Now if im not mistaken, P0335 will be the only error that will cause the car not to fire correctly. The car will fire up on 2 or 3 cylinders, idle for a few seconds and then die.

I found a guy who gave me a cam and crank sensor to test off his car, but still the same story....

Any suggestions???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Try unplugging the MAF and see if it fires up. It isn't ideal for driving around, but it may allow you to at least get it to start so you can check for leaks and what not.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanx for the reply. I did try the MAF, but no difference. Can it be the cam pullies?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Please give a full list of modifications.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

In for funsies.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Well now after the build, its a stock motor with 18 G turbo, greaddy FMIC. Stock head gaskets, stock pistons, etc.

The head has been redone with new valves and the other cars cam pullies has been installed

Figured a bit more out today. Sounds like the car is now firing on all 4, but does not want to rev up. It idles very low for a few seconds and then dies. Dont get an engine light no more. Its as if the injectors on cylinder 1 and 4 are only supplying fuel every second time.

The head on cylinder 2 and 4 heats up, but 1 and 3 is way colder. We took out the coils, swapped them around, all fires up perfect. Took the injectors out and had them in one of those injector cleaner machines and all are perfect

Any tests i could do?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Who tuned the car? What engine management?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The car has a local piggy back shstem on called dastek, but this is the same system that was on the car before the accident. It i have it plugged in or out, it does the same.

What is the FULL SET of mods? It must have a modified exhaust with that turbo setup (I hope so anyway!), and I'd imagine injectors and some other things. So what is the full mod list?

Of course if you unplug the tune that's designed to run the car with the mods it's not going to work...

And please get rid of the NOS. The motors in these cars are not built to handle that power.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sorry guys. Yes; have a full system exhaust from the engine to the back. No cats. I have removed the NOS after the accident. Injectors are still the standard blue ones.

Engine wise mods i have the following installed now

Turbo
    Full exhaust
    FMIC
    Blitz dump valve
    Greaddy boost controller
    Defi module system
    Piggy back system

Thats all engine wise i can think of at the moment

I had a mechanic here now and he says that he can not see that the key is communicating with the computerbox. Can that be?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.