Hurricane Sandy

This is a discussion on Hurricane Sandy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's up everyone. So my WRX was lightly damaged in storm. It took on a little bit of water but ...

Hurricane Sandy

What's up everyone.

So my WRX was lightly damaged in storm. It took on a little bit of water but nothing major. Water got up to the bumper in the front and was below the exhaust in the rear. I got it started and then it stalled. After rolling it out of the water and into some random persons driveway, I disconnected the battery and waited till the morning to check the damage. I sprayed the entire engine compartment, the undercarriage, the wheels and wheel wells out with fresh water to get off all of the salt water. After reconnecting the battery I still had power to everything. The car cranks but will not turn over. I am purchasing a new starter today cause it doesn't sound right when it's cranking. If anyone has any ideas on what else would be causing it not to fire I would greatly appreciate it. Just wanna get my baby running again and back on the road.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Didn't get water in the gas tank did it? Also check spark.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

No, not that I know of. It was only in water for about 10-15 minutes and it didn't come up past the side skirts.

Hard to tell...but if you cranked it and sucked water into the engine, it might have killed the compression or something like that. Tough to tell unfortunately.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

If the engine is turning over, then it's probably just fine, the starter is probably fine as well. Most likely electrical. If water was sucked into the engine, it would probably not turn over since water does not compress

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    If the engine is turning over, then it's probably just fine, the starter is probably fine as well. Most likely electrical. If water was sucked into the engine, it would probably not turn over since water does not compress
    Any ideas on where to start? Maybe with the wires for the plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa90 View Post
    Any ideas on where to start? Maybe with the wires for the plugs?
    Was the bottom of the engine submerged? If so the ignition is likely wet. If plugs/wires are wet the high voltage will definitely short out at the head. Remember, the heads are WAY down on the engine set-up. You might want to get under there, pull the cover of the underside and check you plugs/wires for wet. Pull the connectors off the spark plugs and check inside. They might also get corroded in a hurry with salt water... Just a clean & dry might do the trick.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Was the bottom of the engine submerged? If so the ignition is likely wet. If plugs/wires are wet the high voltage will definitely short out at the head. Remember, the heads are WAY down on the engine set-up. You might want to get under there, pull the cover of the underside and check you plugs/wires for wet. Pull the connectors off the spark plugs and check inside. They might also get corroded in a hurry with salt water... Just a clean & dry might do the trick.
    Appreciate the idea. It could be the plugs or wires, doesn't seem like it's getting any spark. Do you think the started could have anything to do with it or need to be replaced? When you turn the key and it starts cranking, it's making kind of a whining noise and just does not sound normal.