OIL LIGHT

This is a discussion on OIL LIGHT within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for a little help guys. My car: 2003 WRX SPT ram air Invidia 3" TBE Cobb accessport Stage 2 ...

OIL LIGHT

Looking for a little help guys.

My car:
    2003 WRX
    SPT ram air
    Invidia 3" TBE
    Cobb accessport Stage 2 tune

Problem: Ok, so i have noticed this 2 times now. When i start my car the oil light in the dash by the gas guage comes on but its not real bright. first time it did this it went away after about 5 minutes of driving. i got home and checked the oil and was a bit low so i added some. the light didnt come on for a few days but it came on again this morning when i started the car. it went off by the time i got to work. I work about 1/2 mile from my house. suggestions of what this could mean or what i should do would be very appreciated. dont want anything bad to happen to my baby.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Same thing happened to me i have a 02 bugeye. light was on but faint so i did a oil change and it hasn't come back since .
    Shifting Day n Night in my RedRex

They usually only come on for one reason

I Support ClubWRX

OIL LIGHT

Oil sensor, wiring, pick up tube, obstruction, rings, pump. Find what and fix it yesterday.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I was wong =p. I was thinking oil leak somewhere

I Support ClubWRX

OIL LIGHT

I think the main point, regardless of cause, is that it's one light one cannot ignore. Find the cause and fix it yesterday.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Agreed. You have low oil pressure due to something.
    Might be the beer talking, buit..I like learning things from you veterans

Now can someoe buy me a beer?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Agreed. You have low oil pressure due to something.
    Just because the light comes on doesn't mean you have low oil pressure. That is what Spiro's was trying to say. Thats the whole point of diagnosing a problem as to just specualting it and throwing money/parts at it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have noticed it is only coming on in the moring when its cold and rainy. is on very faintly at idle and after about 1 block of pulling out of the drive way it goes out. could the rainy cold whether be causing a bad ground connection to the block or anything like that. it never comes on when i start it after work, only mornings. the thing i find very wierd is how faint the light is, you would think it would just be on and bright like when you turn the key over or not on at all.

Is it dark in the mornings but light after work? The light may be just as little "on" and just not show in the daylight. And yes, Oil Pressure is the one number one thing that will damage the engine if it's not there. When you turn on ignition, does the light come on at full (as it's supposed to)?. Then after starting it's still there just only a little? I could imagine some dirt and moisture to allow for a little current to go by the sensor switch and allow for the light to come on very faint. It's certainly not that a ground connection makes the light turn on when wet, wet would only make that connection better. Try (for testing only) to pull the plug off the sensor and turn on ignition, the light should be off completely. If not, reconnect and check the cars wiring further. Maybe the switch itself is bad. Maybe your oil pressure is actually low, at this point you need to find out whats wrong, if nothing else just to save the engine if there is really something going wrong.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

When you turn on ignition, does the light come on at full (as it's supposed to)?. Then after starting it's still there just only a little?

yes this is what happens, then like i said it goes out completely in about 1 minute. Does the accessport have a feature to monitor oil pressure? i couldnt find one. the light has not come on at all the last 2 days, not even when i first start it in the morning, but it also hasnt been raining the last 2 morning like the other times. im going to do a lot of looking around this weekend at things
    Last edited by White BugEye; 11-02-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Since the switch really has no proprtional character -it's either on or off- I would haphazzerd a gues that there is some current going to thru the circuit that is not intended. That is most likely passing by the switch. Dirt and moisture would cause that. Check the electrical connection at the switch itself. Likely a plug, pull it and make sure it's all clean, then maybe spray a bit of WD-40 into it. Don't forget the other side where the plug goes into...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?