Classic 02 wrx warm start denied.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Classic 02 wrx warm start denied. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2002 subaru wrx wont start when warm, i have posted on this twice and still havnt had any luck. car ...

Classic 02 wrx warm start denied.

2002 subaru wrx wont start when warm, i have posted on this twice and still havnt had any luck. car will crank but wont turn over after being driven warmed up and shut off. iv cleaned my maf, changed my pcv, i cant check my iacv because the screws holding it to the throttle body are to brittle and the heads strip easy.

battery alternator and starter all checkout fine when tested. compression is fine. any other ideas or leads would be welcome. id love it if somebody else who has fixed this problem would pass down the wisdom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry to hear, have u tried searching the forum or google? taken it to a mechanic?

thanks man iv been fighting to diagnose it for months its very sporadic. iv looked through almost all of these forums and i have found four or five that have the same issue and the only guy who fixed it had done a completely modded motor swap. the mechanic i took it to couldnt identify the issue and he had it for 2 weeks. felt so bad he didnt even charge me for his time.

Only thing I can think of is a severe case of vapor lock.

After a long time reading different articles and so on i might have found out how to fix it. but i cant finish putting the car together till storm sandy passes by. so fingers crossed and mabie a can rally in the aftermath

What do you think the problem is?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Well i was doing some more reading and after like my 23rd page on google, there was a link to a 2002 wrx idle issue. it read exactly like mine but unlike other posts this guy posted the fix. behind the alternator there is your water temp sensor. with a forked connector on it. the connector isnt weather pact and it corrodes pretty bad. so i sanded it back down and put dielectric grease on it just to be safe. so im going to give it time to see if it fixes it. so far hasnt had a starting problem but time will tell

Hopefully that did it!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

yea i hope so. im tempted to throw a tarp up over my engine bay and finish it up right now before sandy hits. but if it does mabie itll help out the other people who have this issue. seems to be only 2002 wrx

Hey all, after long waited suspense i found out that it was the fix. that connector was rusted and carroded but it was not the issue. im beyond frustrated with this. im getting my ass kicked by the car i spent three hours detailing in 30 degree weather. obviously a love hate relationship

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to list all your mods. I doubt it's the IAVC. Generally those will give you a DTC/CEL and the car will actually go into limp mode,but still idle and be drivable. Sounds like a possible bad ground. I would try cleaning and re-torquing the engine grounds including the battery neg. Try cleaning the cam and crank sensors. Maybe also try unplugging and reinstalling the ECU. Just be carefull with static charge. I would think about investing in a OBDII scanner. Makes troubleshooting 10x easier. That way you can see if the coil packs and injectors are getting signal durring cranking.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Double post..
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

sorry for the double post, i had to repost after my family mechanic tried to fix it and didnt know where to start. in his defense he doesnt know subaru that well haha. my 02 just has full injen intake and exhaust, perrin fuel rails, sti pink injectors. td05 16g turbo and thats it really i dont have the cobb yet as i cant afford it. i did by an obdII scanner from mac tools with the rest of the tools i had to order but itll be weeks before i see it. i will have to try the ecu trick because i have already cleaned the maf cam crank and water temp sensors in an effort to solve the issue. i have fuel pressure air and spark.
    i have been hoping the problem would progress into a DTC but still it hasnt thrown a code even when it doesnt start.

i also apologize for any miss spellings or grammar issues i am typing fast in between class and work

Hey I am having the same exact problem you are. Mine is a 06 WRX. I have done pretty much all the same things you have to fix it except the water temp sensor. Have you tried looking at the ground wires?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance*eleventy,000,000,001*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast